Best pick and place for around $11k ?

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ganzziani

Best pick and place for around $11k ?

Post by ganzziani »

I am planning to purchase a pick and place this month, does anyone have experience or heard anything about the TWS Quadra pick and place? The unit I am looking at is preowned, it has at least 60 feeders, and it is selling for around $10k.
I am also looking at a preowned Manncorp ECM-97, for around $11k, but only with 15 feeders or so.
Both machines are being sold by Manncorp.

The boards I need to assemble have relatively big components: 0805, SOT23, TQFPs... basically components I can solder by hand.

Does anyone have another suggestion? My budget is around $11k, I might be able to stretch a little more if it is justified...
Last edited by ganzziani on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alphatronique

Re: TWS Quadra PnP or ECM97 ?

Post by alphatronique »

Hi

seem that you look same Quadra machine that me ;-)

it good machine only draw back it do only 0.8mm > pitch on QFP and > 0603
today most chip was now 0.50mm pitch . so this was a big issue

on good side it still sported machine and price was nice ,that wly i look it to he he

emc97 was as far that i not a ok machine better that smtmax ,maddel
but not a killer machine , personalty for same money i will but a zevatech
(you may even got 2 for that price)

remember that pick place not need to do all if it assemble all passive part
and you only left to hand assembly big IC it still save lot of time in your production
and save lot of money for got a good reflow and stencil printer
i think that have good relfow and stencil printer was most critical that pick place

Best regard

mikeselectricstuff

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

AFAIK some Quadras have no vision system but use a mechanical tweezer type arrangement to align parts, which sounds a pretty dodgy idea to me... I've heard second-hand that Quadras don't do 0603's well.

ganzziani

Post by ganzziani »

Thanks for the comments, the quadra's mechanical centering and being unable to place 0.5mm pitch ICs is not convenient.
What do you guys think of this machine?
http://www.equipmatching.com/used_equip ... 264010.php

mikeselectricstuff

Re: Best pick and place for around $11k ?

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

It's very hard to get sufficiently good info on P&P machines to know which older used ones are good buys. Things like availability of info & parts, software and user serviceability are very important but hard to determine. A $11K P&P is always going to be a risk unless you really know what you're looking at - the difference between a useable machine and a useless boatanchor can be down to small details - software, a missing calibration file, setup/service mode info, worn leadscrews/bearings etc. Bear in mind older machines can be rather user unfriendly. A $11K P&P is always going to be a 'project' to some extent and need TLC and work to keep running.

This forum http://www.smtnet.com/Forums/ is more industry oriented, and you may get some answers from users of machines like the Juki there.

alphatronique

Post by alphatronique »

Hi
manncorp guy tell me it quadra basic so no laser ,vision or else
so i dout it do 0.5mm pitch

Quadra basic have no real advantage over my favorite zevatech

so it think it bit expensive Quadra DVS was much better

as for PM570 i knot were you may got one for under 5000$ in working condition or 2 for 9000$
let me knot if you what the guy email ...

but once again 570 not place 0.5mm pitch but do 0402 ,personaly i prefer 460 smaller and easy to fix

Best regard

gsattler

Post by gsattler »

Post removed by user.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”