Assembling ADXL 335

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
saiy

Assembling ADXL 335

Post by saiy »

I am trying to assemble ADXL 335 accelrometer on a board that I designed. I am trying to follow this tutorial:

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/100

The board in the tutorial does not have any other component other than the package. I am trying to assemble the accelerometer as the last component on my board. I want to do so because I would like to determine whether my accelerometer works.

The ADXL datasheet's recommended temperature for soldering is 240 degrees celsius and ramped up slowly in a 5 minute time period.Soldering lead does not melt at that temperature and is it a good idea of heating the board that has other components assembled on it for 5 minutes?

Is there a better way of soldering the accelerometer other than the hot air rework station?

alphatronique

Re: Assembling ADXL 335

Post by alphatronique »

Hi

what i do here was use good tackyflux (SMD291-ND may do the job) and sorder whit sorder iron
pin by i end ,flux will make solder migrate under the chip
that work only if you have exposed copper on side of chip ,and you solder iron tip was able to reach it

for the bottom pad if if really need to be connected i put small dot of solder past and reflow it after manual solder of pin

as for the 250 deg a sac305 lead free solder melt a 217 deg so @ 250 it sure it melt
but temperature must mesure at chip level not air in the oven ..
air in oven may reach 260 for got a 250 pcb temperature
so need to put termocouple/probe on pcb itself

and as long that part/ PCB not stay above 217 for more that 45 sec it ok

for singel side skillet soldering may also a good idea

hope it help

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”