Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

SMT Books: Max # of pages
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

SMT Books: Max # of pages

by zitt on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:15 am

I'm thinking of getting a bunch of SMT books to help organize my project components. To Be honest; I have proably about 25-30 digikey boxes littering my "electronics" room; and need to find a better way of organizing this mess.

I'm not sure how many of you guys do this... but when I do a new project; I tend to order a completely new set of parts from digikey so that I have accurate parts w/ RefDez printed on the label as they come from Digikey. That way I almost never make an error regarding assembly. Expensive; but it keeps me sane.

So now; I think I want to move those parts to an SMT book; especially when I don't think I'll ever build the project again.

About how many of these pages can one book fit? It's clear you can add pages; but I assume there is a limit before the book becomes too full to move pages (like too many pages in a 3ring binder).

Can someone (on Adafruit) give a general rule of thumb as to the max recommended pages in one book?

zitt

Re: SMT Books: Max # of pages

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:04 am

20 pages is about the max.

It's basically a 1" binder, and at 20 pages, you get about 1.3mm of clearance per page. That's about the thickness of a tape of 0805 components. The tape for SOIC components is about 3mm thick, so you'd only want to stack those about 8 high.

There are 228 8mm slots per book, so you can pack a lot of parts into one.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: SMT Books: Max # of pages

by zitt on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:25 pm

adafruit_support_mike wrote:20 pages is about the max.

It's basically a 1" binder, and at 20 pages, you get about 1.3mm of clearance per page. That's about the thickness of a tape of 0805 components. The tape for SOIC components is about 3mm thick, so you'd only want to stack those about 8 high.

There are 228 8mm slots per book, so you can pack a lot of parts into one.

Thanks that helps. I need to assess the mess... and figure out how many I should order.
Again; thanks.

zitt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.