Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

IBDAP Firmware
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IBDAP Firmware

by ILED on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:52 pm

I recently purchased the IBDAP CMSIS-DAP programmer JTAG/SWD Debug Adapter Kit (product id: 2764). As shipped, it shows up in my devices/printers as "IBDAP-LPC11U35 CMSIS-DAP". However, openOCD will not recognize it, responding with "Error: unable to open CMSIS-DAP device". Reading the use manual indicates that the firmware should be updated in order to be used as a CMSIS-DAP Debugger. The IBDAP allows me to convert it to a flash drive for this purpose, unfortunately the link to the latest firmware is broken: https://s3.amazonaws.com/armstart/Debug ... latest.bin

I see that I have the option to build the binary myself from their GIT: https://github.com/Armstart-com/IBDAP-CMSIS-DAP , but the first line explaining how to do this states that you must use linux. Unfortunately, I am on a Windows machine.

Surely there is a way to do this in windows, but I would rather not spend my time reinventing the wheel. Can anyone help me acquire the updated firmware binary?

ILED

Re: IBDAP Firmware

by ILED on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Update:

I went ahead and just created a bootable USB drive for Ubuntu (had no idea that ubuntu could be run from a flash drive without installing). From Ubuntu it was a breeze to build the firmware and I finally had my IBDAP.bin file.

As prescribed in the user manual, I pressed both the RESET and ISP pins at the same time to turn the IBDAP device into a flash storage device. I deleted the firmware.bin file, replaced it with the IBDAP.bin file, and clicked RESET.

Nothing. It still identifies as LPC1XXX IFLASH. The volume seems to have been renamed "CRP DISABLD" (not sure what it was previously), but I cannot get the device back into CMSIS-DAP mode. For good measure, I made sure openOCD wasn't able to find it - it couldn't. But now I am left with even less direction than before.

I contacted Armstart yesterday and have received no response, so I don't hold out a great deal of hope there. If anyone has any suggestions about what to try next, that would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by ILED on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILED

by Zecritic on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi ILED,

I own an IBDAP. Off the top of my head, there are two issues I can think of:

• The USB mass storage bootloader can be sensitive to how you actually copy the new firmware. App note AN11305 goes into the details. On Windows, the procedure you followed should work, but on Linux, you might need to do some extra work to ensure it writes the blocks in order. The app note gives suggestions for flashing the firmware and also includes a script.
  • On my IBDAP, it sometimes runs the USB mass storage bootloader even when there's already CMSIS-DAP firmware on it. Pressing the reset button seems to fix the problem for a while.

Zecritic

by ILED on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Zecritic, thank you for your input! I very much appreciate it. I had originally copied the new firmware in Linux, which gave me motivation to retrace my steps more carefully.

When I went to recompile the firmware, I noticed an error that I had previously overlooked - Make was clearly telling me that it could not find the executable "checksum" necessary to complete its post-build processing. While checksum was present and in the appropriate location, it turns out that a 64bit Ubuntu installation will not run 32bit applications without being configured to do so. Originally I had assumed it was a simple integrity check, and since it created the expected binary file, I just continued to move forward.

Once Ubuntu was configured to be able to run checksum, it returned a message at the end of the build saying that it had successfully inserted a checksum into the binary. Oops...

Heeding the warning about the sensitive bootloader, I flipped back to Windows to copy the new binary into the IBDAP device. When I reset the IBDAP it finally converted back into CMSIS-DAP device! SUCCESS! Kind of...

With the default settings in Kinetis Design Studio, the integrated openOCD still won't find the IBDAP device. I was, however, able to make contact from linux with a fresh stand-alone openOCD install. I now know that the device is functional and that the problem lies in the openOCD configuration, which gives me much better direction to focus my efforts.

I'm disappointed in Armstart for their lack of communication. All of the important materials related to their IBDAP were hosted through Amazon Web Services, and all of those links are currently dead. Fortunately for me, adafruit chose to host some of these files on their own servers. It might be in adafruit's best interest to host the binary themselves, so I'll link to the one I was able to make: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=051 ... 0408249491

ILED

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.