Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Stickvise - stationary jaw not so stationary
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Stickvise - stationary jaw not so stationary

by nashtr79 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:47 pm

I just got my order from Adafruit and the stickvise I got seems to have an issue; the stationary jaw is very loose ( I can spin it on the post in fact ). It's pretty useless like this, if I try to clamp a board in it, the spring on the moveable jaw just pushes the stationary one out. I don't see any way to tighten the stationary jaw down, am I missing something? Is there some way to secure it that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance for any help.

nashtr79

Re: Stickvise - stationary jaw not so stationary

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:01 am

Could you post a photo of the stationary end pushed off please? We don't make that one, and I'm not sure how that end is secured.

800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by nashtr79 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:54 am

Will do.

nashtr79

by nashtr79 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:55 pm

stickvise_edit.jpg
stickvise_edit.jpg (176.19 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Here's a picture of it with the stationary jaw off. Basically, it's just as loose as the movable jaw, and comes off almost no difficulty. There's a very little resistance at the ends of the shaft, but not enough to hold it on against the force of the spring on the movable jaw. Hope this helps, if you'd like any other views or details let me know.

nashtr79

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:04 am

Thank you.

From what I can see in the photo, it looks like there might be a hole for a grub screw under the plastic jaw. Try removing the jaw and see if there is one.

adafruit_support_mike

by nashtr79 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 am

Well, color me embarassed, there is indeed a grub screw and the jaw is snugged down now. The sad part? I bought the high temp jaws for it, and if I'd gone ahead and swapped those out, I would have seen the screw. Oh well, good eye Mike, after your comment I looked closer at the picture and saw the opening for it too. Thanks again for your help.

nashtr79

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Cool.. it was kind of a guess on my part. ;-). Glad to hear that did the job for you.

If you want to make it a bit more secure, file a small flat on the rod where the grub screw seats. It doesn't have to be much.. half a millimeter deep will work. The idea is to create a geometric constraint. If a grub screw touching a rod loosens even slightly, the rod can rotate arbitrarily. A flat acts like a wedge under rotation, and that will keep the rod from rotating even if you lose a bit of screw pressure.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.