Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Support Q re: Wire Stripping Problem w/ recent Adafruit Wire
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Support Q re: Wire Stripping Problem w/ recent Adafruit Wire

by keith204 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:26 pm

A few months ago, I purchased some Adafruit 22ga solid wire (6 colors x 25ft. White box, also labeled Electronix Express) and that has worked great! I started running out, so this week I purchased the 10 color box of 22ga solid (10x25ft in black box).

This sounds a bit silly perhaps, but I'm having trouble stripping the wire, and am curious if you've run into this before. Black is particularly difficult as are some of the other colors. Some colors work great.

I'm using the same set of wire strippers that I've used for the past few months. They still work great on the old set of wire, but not all the colors of this set.

The strippers in particular are: Hakko CHP CSP-30-7
The setting is the 22g ring.

What seems to happen is this: the 22ga setting doesn't cut through all of the rubber, but the 20ga setting cuts into the wire just a bit and complicates the process.

Have you heard of this happening before?

keith204

Re: Support Q re: Wire Stripping Problem w/ recent Adafruit

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Some types of wire insulation are tougher than others. With the tougher ones I find it helps to give the wire stripper a 1/4 twist around the wire before pulling to help slice through the insulation.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.