Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PID: 1492
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PID: 1492

by model3 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi,

I need the PID: 1492 for a project but it seems to me that it is unassembled. Do you sell an assembled version as I don't have an easy way to assemble the SMT 50 pin FPC.
Thanks!
M3

model3

Re: PID: 1492

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:27 am

I'm afraid we don't.

Soldering the FPC isn't as hard as it seems though. Start by applying solder to one pad at the end of the footprint, then set the connector in the molten solder. You can reheat the joint to reposition the connector as necessary. Once the connector's pins line up with the pads, tack the pin at the opposite end to hold the connector in place.

Then you can work your way along the connector putting solder on all the pins and pads. Using flux helps a lot, but don't worry about bridging between the pins. Just get the solder in there.

Once all the pins and pads have solder, you can clean things up with solder wick and a little more flux. SMT work is all about surface tension, so connectors and footprints are designed to produce a good joint more or less automatically. Flux will make sure the solder flows freely, and solder wick will pull away any excess. A couple of passes dragging the solder wick along the pins should give you a row of beautiful joints.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.