Share your workshop!

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmigliorisi

Share your workshop!

Post by dmigliorisi »

Hey all,

I've been fooling around with small projects here and there for about a year and i really enjoy it. In my home, I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated space for my wood working and circuitry hobbies. My big project for this spring is to really organize the space with 1 wall dedicated to electronics and 2 walls dedicated to my wood working tools. I'm curious to see how others have setup their workspaces for some inspiration and ideas. If you don't mind, share some pictures of your workshop! Also, besides the standard essential tools (wire clippers, soldering iron, etc.), what are some tools you have that you can't do with out?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Share your workshop!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I used to have my electronics bench on the 2nd floor and the shop in the basement. But with a lot of crossover projects these days, a lot of my electronics equipment is slowly migrating down to the basement as well. At this point, it is far from organized.

For tools: in addition to the basic soldering & test equipment, a good magnifying lamp is essential as the components get smaller and my eyes get older. I recently sprung for one of the Rigol bench supplies https://www.adafruit.com/products/2014 to replace my aging Heathkit supply. It's such a great tool to use. I wish I had taken the plunge much sooner.

In the shop, my #1 'go-to' tool has always been the bandsaw. I've got one dedicated to wood and another one for metal. I'm in the process of getting those and all the other large tools on mobile bases so I can re-configure the shop for larger projects.

Recently, the tool that has been getting most of the attention is the CNC router. You can see some photos of that here: https://blog.adafruit.com/2016/04/28/cn ... rsday-cnc/

ranjib

Re: Share your workshop!

Post by ranjib »

I live in an apartment with very limited space. All my electronics is in a home depot container (with multiple chamber in it), which is wall mounted inside the apartment. Patio is used for all wood works (i do mostly small, hobby related housing wood work, involving plywoods primarily). The dining table become my soldering and all other electronics workbench at night. I have a toddler, who keeps all day time electronics work option at bay :-).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”