Hakko Soldering Tip not compatible with Atten 50-Watt Solder

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
trentroc

Hakko Soldering Tip not compatible with Atten 50-Watt Solder

Post by trentroc »

I would like to start with my order number as an assistance in resolving this matter. That order number is #1321900-7281463019 placed on December 31, 2016 @ 12:53 PM. On this date I purchased the ATTEN 50-WATT SOLDERING IRON - SA-50 and Hakko
Soldering Tip: T18-S4 Fine SMD. I purchased the Hakko soldering tip for work requiring a fine tip. Under the description of the Atten 50 watt soldering iron it states " you can swap the tip for any 'Hakko compatible tip ". This Hakko soldering tip is not. I just opened the tip today to use and it does not fit at all. I sent an email with photos of this issue to support@Adafruit and received the following response.. " Thanks for the note. We just heard back from our QA team; they confirm that it should work fine if both the tip and the iron are in working order - you should just be able to insert it and screw the end of the iron part back into the holder. Thanks, Adafruit Support ". I replied with more detailed photos clearly demonstrating that the tip is not compatible even though it is stated as being so. Soon after I received the reply " Our QA team is unable to replicate the issue ". Here are some photos of the Atten soldering iron with the factory tip and the Hakko soldering tip. They show that the Hakko tip cannot possibly fit the Atten 50 watt soldering iron without altering the tube that retains the soldering tip. The tip is a larger diameter than the tube will accept and therefore the retaining tube cannot be properly secured with threaded ring at base of shaft. This Hakko tip fits onto the ceramic heating element but does not fit the hole that the tip sticks out of. I have been saving it for work that required it but now that is not going to be possible. I really hope someone can assist me with this issue. Today has not been such a great day for me and this part was critical to something I've been working on. Thank you for your time in reading this post and any assistance you might be able to provide with regards to this matter.
Trent
Attachments
but the Hakko tip does not fit. tip does not fit thru tube and threaded ring cannot be secured
but the Hakko tip does not fit. tip does not fit thru tube and threaded ring cannot be secured
DSC_0959.JPG (878.79 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
with factory tip the retaining tube is able to be secured properly
with factory tip the retaining tube is able to be secured properly
DSC_0957.JPG (882.47 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Hakko Soldering Tip not compatible with Atten 50-Watt So

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Unfortunately, I have to start by saying your report is a few months too late. Our return/replace period runs 30 days, and we have to be strict about that.

The second piece of bad news is that our QA team did test a similar tip with an ATTEN iron, and it fit normally. We know they work in together general, so we have to look for a manufacturing defect in the specific tip shown above.

I can authorize a replacement if we find a defect, but I'll need to collect some more information to do that.

Please post photos showing both tips above on the ceramic heating element, but without the shroud/tube that goes back to the screw connection. Please also post a photo looking into the shroud so we can see how the lip of the shroud catches the rim around the edge of the tip.

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

Here are the photos as requested
Attachments
DSC_0967.JPG
DSC_0967.JPG (1020.97 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
_20170525_012120.JPG
_20170525_012120.JPG (655.63 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
DSC_0964.JPG
DSC_0964.JPG (964.08 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

And another
Attachments
DSC_0965.JPG
DSC_0965.JPG (1000.13 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

I was not expecting a refund. Just needed to bring this matter to attention. I posted my order number for reference. It was a few days ago when I finally opened it to find out it doesn't fit. This particular Hakko Soldering Tip: T18-S4 Fine SMD is not compatible with the Atten 50 watt soldering iron. The tip doesn't fit thru the shroud and prevents it from being secured. This Hakko will fit onto the ceramic element but not completely thru the hole in shroud. It doesn't work. I wish it did because it looks like a nice soldering tip and my Atten has been a decent soldering iron. I can't use the Hakko tip if you would like me to send it back for more information. A replacement will not be necessary. Thank you for your time.

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you.. those images make it easier to see what's happening.

That looks like a tolerances issue: the Hakko tip's dimensions seem to be correct but it looks like the hole in the end of the shroud, which the tip should fit through, has a bit of a burr. That could decrease the size of the hole just enough to catch the Hakko tip.

If you have a digital caliper, check the dimensions at the base of the ATTEN tip and the shaft of the Hakko tip, just at the point where each tip flares out for clamping. My guess is that there will only be a few thousandths of an inch of difference.

You should be able to widen the hole in the shroud with something like a bamboo skewer and a small piece of 1000-grit sandpaper. Rolling the tip back and forth a few times, using the skewer and sandpaper as an axle, should polish the inside of the hole and get rid of any burr that might be present. It shouldn't take much to open out the hole enough to accept the Hakko tip.

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

If I was to do that the factory Atten tip and other confirmed working tips would no longer properly fit. It would require a drill to modify this tube for this soldering tip to work. I have no interest in doing this. I have purchased another soldering iron with a fine tip and have no use for this Hakko fine tip if anyone needs it. At least you were able to confirm that not all Hakko soldering tips are compatible with the Atten 50 watt soldering iron. I'm glad I only purchased one of these soldering tips. Thank you for your suggestions.

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

I was able to find someone that has a Hakko and can use the tip. Really wish it would fit my Atten. Are there factory replacements available for the Atten 50 watt soldering iron ? And can anyone confirm which specific Hakko soldering tips are compatible with the Atten soldering iron? It is a great soldering iron and has been dependable. The only issue is it needs a new tip. I would like to put it back in use without modification of the the retaining shroud part. Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

adafruit_support_mike

We've never had a Hakko tip fail to fit an Atten iron. We can only guess that the shroud on your iron has a slightly smaller opening than the ones we have.

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

Has anyone at Adafruit actually tested and verified that that this specific Hakko soldering tip does in fact fit the Atten Soldering Iron? I have serious doubt that this Atten or this Hakko are any different than the ones at Adafruit. There is a great difference in the diameter of this specific Hakko soldering tip and the diameter of the shroud on the Atten. It is a very noticeable difference of at least 2-3mm. If this Hakko tip is compatible with the Atten Soldering Iron then the factory tip that came with it would never have fit properly. If what you say is true then either the Soldering Iron or the soldering tip that Adafruit sold me is defective which I doubt is the case. It just seems like no one took the time to check if all the Hakko soldering tips are actually compatible with the Atten 50 watt soldering iron as claimed in the product description. I would like it very much if you can at least provide a photo of the Atten 50 watt soldering iron with the Hakko T18-S4 Fine SMD Soldering Tip together. I have provided more than enough information and photos to help troubleshoot this problem. I would actually like to see proof that this soldering iron and tip are different than the ones at Adafruit.

adafruit_support_mike

NinjaTrent wrote:Has anyone at Adafruit actually tested and verified that that this specific Hakko soldering tip does in fact fit the Atten Soldering Iron?
Yes, we have.

I asked our QA people to test them after your initial post. They pulled a few units from stock, tested them, and found that they did fit together.

Did you get the Atten soldering iron from us as well?

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

Yes. I purchased the Atten Soldering Iron and Hakko T18-S4 Fine SMD Soldering Tip from Adafruit at same time on December 31. My order number is at the beginning of this post. So what you are trying to tell me is that in the period of 5 months the dimensions of the Atten Soldering Iron or Hakko T18-S4 Fine SMD Soldering Tip that Adafruit sells has changed.

adafruit_support_mike

I'm saying our QA team tested the irons we have now with the tips we have now, and they fit together.

I accept the evidence you've presented, which shows that the tip you have doesn't fit the iron you have.

Those are facts based on observation. Anything beyond those facts involves speculation.

I have offered a refund for the cost of the tip and shipping. You may accept it or decline it as you choose.

trentroc

Post by trentroc »

A refund is not necessary. It has been some time since I have made that purchase. I only wish I had made the discovery sooner. It's not my intent to cause any problems. This was the first time I have had any trouble with a purchase from Adafruit in the time I have been a customer. I was not able to use the Hakko tip and gave it to someone who has a Hakko. The Atten Soldering Iron is still working great except it is in need of a tip that will fit. Is there a factory replacement available for the Atten Soldering Iron? Thank you for your assistance.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”