Cleaning out a soldering iron holder without getting solder

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SubjectiveCaml

Cleaning out a soldering iron holder without getting solder

Post by SubjectiveCaml »

Sorry if this isn't the correct subforum for this.

I have the FX888D soldering station. I recently cleaned out the stand that holds the iron and the sponges. I noticed a lot of little particles of solder sitting at the bottom (especially underneath the brass sponge). While cleaning the holder, some of these particles went "flying" and landed on my desk.

This probably isn't a major concern, but these particles still do contain lead and I'd rather not have them get everywhere.

Any recommendations on cleaning out the holder without getting these pieces of solder everywhere?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Cleaning out a soldering iron holder without getting sol

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

This is a good place, and that's a good question.

I put the holder in a bag (usually a shopping bag in a small garbage can) and shake it out there. That keeps all the gunk contained. I also swap out the brass sponge for a new one, or more accurately, I dump the all gunk when it's time to swap in a new brass sponge.

Side tip: I keep a small bowl on my workbench as a mini garbage can. It's more convenient to strip wire and clip leads into that than to use the can on the floor. Dumping the bowl in the main can is part of my startup routine, right before turning on the fume extractor.

SubjectiveCaml

Re: Cleaning out a soldering iron holder without getting sol

Post by SubjectiveCaml »

Okay, thank you for the tips!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”