Crimp Tool for Banana Plugs?

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kc7zdm

Crimp Tool for Banana Plugs?

Post by kc7zdm »

Saw this crimper https://www.adafruit.com/product/1213 on the site and want to verify that it would be suitable for crimp style banana plugs. The ones I have look like they would accept 12 or 18 AWG wire. Smashing them with a pliers or the crimper on a stripping tool doesn't seem like the right way to go.

I've had poor success with the screw on style plugs. I've made specialty leads for my multi-meter that have Anderson PowerPoles on the test end to test batteries that are already set up with PowerPole leads. It's very convenient, until the test lead falls apart! Or it could be I'm not getting the right plugs.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Crimp Tool for Banana Plugs?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Those will handle up to 18 AWG. If your connectors are large enough for a 12 AWG wire, then they may be too big for that crimper.

What are you using to crimp the PowerPoles? Most PowerPole crimper dies will handle 15, 30 and 45 Amp sized connectors. The 30A crimper will take a 12 AWG wire.

kc7zdm

Post by kc7zdm »

I'm using the tri-crimp tool from Powerwerx. That wouldn't work on banana plugs as the dies are close-ended and intended specifically for the PowerPole ferrules. I generally drop the ferrule into the die, lightly close the crimp until it's just making contact, insert the stripped wire and then crimp.

I'll have to strip a bit of 18 and 12 AWG to check the fit.

Any recommendations if I have to move up to a larger crimper? I'm not much liking the pliers method. One other thing, the banana plug ferrules are one solid cylinder if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm not familiar with the Powerwerx version, but on all the ones I have used (Paladin, IWISS, Pro's Kit), the cup on the back of the die is removable, so they can be used with other connectors.

If not, a search for "ratcheting crimper" on Amazon will give you dozens of hits.

sembazuru

Post by sembazuru »

The ratcheting crimp tool both here at AdaFruit and Powerwerx are designed for split-barrel connectors. Your description of the banana plugs is they are solid barrel connectors. Often the easiest way to connect wires to solid barrel connectors is to actually solder them as if they are solder cup. Otherwise you may have to get a very expensive crimp tool that pushes fingers into the side of the crimp barrel (the ones I'm familiar with use 4 fingers, 90° apart) to crimp down on the connector. A quick search, I've seen 2-indent through 8-indent crimp tools. And prices ranging from about $30USD (which I wouldn't trust for even 1 crimp) to near $300USD (which I wouldn't think is worth it for non-critical (military, space, or medical) applications. Also, note that pretty much all closed barrel crimpers use a blind contact "locator". The entire contact goes into the locator and that positions the contacts crimp area centered between the fingers. So, if your banana plugs do require a closed barrel crimper, you would need the correct locator to fully hold the banana connector.

If possible, see if you can determine the manufacturer of the banana plugs that you intend to use and see what they recommend. Or, just solder them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”