Atten 937

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mmooreAF

Atten 937

Post by mmooreAF »

I placed an order on 9/27/2017. The invoice ID was 1553891

One of the items that I ordered was the Atten 937 Soldering Station. I attempted to use the soldering iron today for the first time. I followed the calibration procedures as defined in the owners manual. I set the temperature control knob to 400 degrees Celsius / 750 degrees Farenheight. I then checked the temperature at the tip using a Raytek MiniTemp Infrared thermometer. According to the Raytek website, the thermometer will read temperatures up to 750 degrees Farenheight. The temperature read much less than 750 degrees Farenheight. I then attempted to calibrate the temperature. Ultimately with the calibration pot rotated clockwise to its upper limit and the temperature control knob to 400 degrees Celsius / 750 degrees Farenheight, the maximum temperature the tip would reach was 250 degrees Farenheight.

Should I try something else or should I return / exchange the device?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Atten 937

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As a quick reference check, can you melt solder with the iron at all?

mmooreAF

Post by mmooreAF »

Yes. The will melt solder.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

60/40 solder melts at about 370 F. Lead-free alloys are all over 400 F:
http://www.kester.com/Portals/0/Documen ... 0Chart.pdf

Not familiar with the Raytek unit, but most of the IR thermometers will report the average temperature of everything in their field of view. With something as small as a soldering iron tip, the measurement may be skewed by the temperature of whatever is in the background.

Also, the emissivity of a clean iron tip is going to be pretty low, So IR readings will be lower than for a dirty tip at the same temperature. IR temperature sensors need to make some assumptions about the emissivity of what they are measuring.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity

mmooreAF

Post by mmooreAF »

While the iron will melt thin gauge solder applied directly to the tip when pressed against the leads from an led and a resistor the leads don't get hot enough to get the solder to run. That is true with the temperature set to max.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

OK. We can try replacing the unit. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”