Hakko FX-880D soldering tips

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brandi

Hakko FX-880D soldering tips

Post by brandi »

Just got the soldering station, which comes with the T18-D16 1.6mm chisel tip, which looks like it'll cover most of what I'm doing now... but I'm curious about the other tips out there.

What do you folks use-- and in particular, do any of you use the T18-K knife tip?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Hakko FX-880D soldering tips

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I mostly run Weller irons, but they have a similar range of tip shapes. Mostly I use the D16 equivalent or smaller chisel tips or a conical tip similar to the BL. Occasionally I'll swap to a 3mm chisel like the D32 for larger connector or switch lugs.

I have a knife shaped tip on an old iron, but I don't use it for soldering. I use it for fray-free cutting of nylon cord and strap

brandi

Post by brandi »

I noticed that Hakko's site describes the knife tip as "used for soldering at narrow pitches, correction of bridging and drag soldering." Now correcting bridging is something I certainly could benefit from, and I would like to learn SMD soldering techniques for drag soldering. Has anyone ever used a knife-type tip for fixing bridges or drag soldering? If I could get a tip that does those AND can be used to cut stuff it'd be nice...

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I usually use the smallest size conical tip to fix bridging - although I could see how a knife tip might have some advantages there. I don't do much SMT work, so I can't speak to that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”