DT-9205B+ Multimeter Issue

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pokoj2006

DT-9205B+ Multimeter Issue

Post by pokoj2006 »

*GREENHORN WARNING*

I received Ladyada's Electronics Toolkit as a birthday present, and finally got vacation time to learn the trade with help from the Make Electronics book.

My 9205B+ Multimeter was working fine yesterday when I began doing some initial measurements as guided by the first chapter of the book. I was able to measure Resistance and DC Amperage & Voltage without issue.

Today, I attempted to use the Audible Continuity Test with a toggle switch, and it didn't work no matter what I tried. The switch had been working fine in my simple circuit.

Now, I find I am unable to measure anything. The display always shows a "1".
Occasionally, digits will jump around as I move the selector dial, but again back to "1" when I select any option. No changes when I attempt to measure.

I have attempted to replace the battery with no change. The fuse looks fine.

What's going on here?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: DT-9205B+ Multimeter Issue

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a photo showing the meter, the connections you're using, and the unexpected output please? 800x600 images usually work best.

pokoj2006

Post by pokoj2006 »

HERE is a small gallery of images as requested. I can add more tests if needed.

adafruit_support_mike

The '1' looks like an out-of-range indicator, and the zeros are reasonable default values.

My guess is that the wire inside one of the meter's probes has broken. When did you get the meter?

pokoj2006

Post by pokoj2006 »

I received the meter in early June.

I am aware of your 30-day return policy -- and I must say the meter is very reasonably priced -- so I'll just purchase a new one.

Thank you for looking in to this!!!

adafruit_support_mike

Tell you what..

The end of the probe that connects to the meter is a banana plug, and we have some banana plug -to- test clip jumpers in the shop:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2608
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2609

If I'm right that the problem is in the probes, those should work instead. When you order the meter, send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to [email protected]. I'll ask the folks there to make sure one of each gets into the box. Having two meters is necessary for several kinds of measurement, and clip probes are really handy.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Also you might try removing one lead and using the other to test between the connections. Touch the positive lead to the ground socket and see if you get a reading. Then do it with the other lead.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”