New to Soldering Pixels

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
breja

New to Soldering Pixels

Post by breja »

First time posting and sort of new to all of this. I am soldering 3.9 mm pixels onto an led panel and boy is it tough having never done it. I have soldered things in the past but they were much larger. This has proven a challenge and I can not quite get it right. If anyone has any tips on how to hold the pixel in place or how to hold the pixel while soldering I would appreciate it.

I am using 6mm soldering wire at 400 degrees with a fine pencil soldering tip. I have been using tweezers to try and hold the pixel.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: New to Soldering Pixels

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The pixels are designed for a reflow oven, so for hand soldering you kind of have to make up techniques as you go.

The first trick for soldering any SMT part is to tin one pad in the footprint before you try to place the part. That way you can put down the solder, use your free hand to hold the part in place, and simply re-melt the solder on the pad to make the joint. Once you have one pad soldered in place, the part will stay put while you solder the rest.

For NeoPixels, use the wide surface. A vacuum pencil is the official tool for the job, but you can get the same effect from a chopstick or bamboo skewer with a small drop of something sticky on its tip.. corn syrup works surprisingly well, and will wash off with alcohol when you clean off the flux.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”