Carbide Square End Mill Capability

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
StavrosV

Carbide Square End Mill Capability

Post by StavrosV »

Hello,

I considering buying a batch of Carbide Square End Mill - 1/8" Shaft - 0.5mm Diameter for CNC milling, and I would like to know what kind of materials can I process with it?
I'm interested in cutting gold and silver and also copper, with a maximum metal sheet thickness of 0.6mm.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Carbide Square End Mill Capability

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That end mill should be capable of milling those materials. But determining the right feeds & speeds and an appropriate lube for the material is the critical part. These tiny bits are easy to break and you can destroy a lot in a hurry if you are not careful. I'd check with some of the CNC and/or jewelry forums for advice on that.

There is a thread on that topic over at CNC Zone: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-m ... 1-cnc.html

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are also mills specifically designed for that kind of work. They are quite a bit more expensive, so you may want to tune your cutting parameters with some less expensive mills first.

I don't have experience with their jewelry mills, but PreciseBits is a good company to work with.
http://www.precisebits.com/applications ... stools.htm

StavrosV

Post by StavrosV »

Thanks for the response.
I already have some expensive dedicated cutting tools. I want this tools for testing mostly, so if they break I won't feel bad.
Also, I have a ballpark idea of the feeds and speeds I need.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”