BANNED ES4 issue/question

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Aylectronics

BANNED ES4 issue/question

Post by Aylectronics »

Hi,

I purchased the midnight hacker multitool a couple of weeks ago and I am just realizing that the spring for the wire strippers is quite weak, as in the maximum opening is only about .5cm and gets smaller with any amount of force on the handles. This makes it difficult to use the strippers.

I wanted to know if the rest of the stock has that problem, cause I am considering purchasing another.

Thanks

adafruit_support_carter

Re: BANNED ES4 issue/question

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Looks like ~1 cm is more typical. The spring action is done by the little lever circled in the image below. There's one on both sides. Do you see any issues or differences with yours? Can you post a similar photo.
mh_leatherman.png
mh_leatherman.png (680.52 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

Aylectronics

Post by Aylectronics »

Hi again

So to describe what I have found, the hole for the levers appear to have larger holes for the rivet part , so the lever can move around. That's why it can open up all the way as shown in the picture. My other BANNED with the same mechanism cant open like that, so its spring is much stronger on the pliers
Attachments
open.jpg
open.jpg (161.82 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
jaws.jpg
jaws.jpg (205.31 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

adafruit_support_carter

Looks like maybe yours don't spring open as much as the one I photoed. But it looks like it opens enough to be used for wire stripping. Can you provide more details about how they are difficult to use.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

also maybe show us the wire you're trying to use - these are pretty good quality tools, sometimes they have a manufacturing issue but its pretty rare :)

Aylectronics

Post by Aylectronics »

Here is the video https://youtu.be/UdIMlo9XsNs

To use the strip the 12 gauge wire I have to open the tool rather than have it spring open.

adafruit_support_carter

It looks like it's working normally to me. With thicker gauge wires with thicker insulation you sometimes need to help it open back up to overcome the friction generated when the cutters are buried deep in the insulation. Mine are like that also and I've just gotten use to having a few fingers in there to help it open back up.

If your other pair work better, it may be due to design decision differences between the two models that BANNED made. Kind of like you've pointed out above in your second post.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”