RMA )) HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
icbanq

RMA )) HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch

Post by icbanq »

Hi, This is Sonia~!

For Order #1665612-1599125000

P/N : HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch PID: 2232

We've connected this display, but it showes like as attached pic.

As nomally it should work with clean screen but this product have deffected.

So, pls help to give replacement to us. But we're afraid of it is out of stock at this moment.

help to check it and advise me :)
Attachments
ada2.png
ada2.png (189.33 KiB) Viewed 824 times
ada1.png
ada1.png (126.83 KiB) Viewed 824 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: RMA )) HDMI 5" Display Backpack - Without Touch

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That looks like an HDMI mode mismatch.

Have you edited the RasPi's /boot./config.txt as shown in the display's tutorial?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-8 ... -pi-config

alucastech

Post by alucastech »

Hello, My order is 1692800. I placed the order about two weeks ago. The below item shows lines on the screen and that's it.
The five inch touch HDMI screen (http://adafru.it/2260) that I ordered doesn't work. How do I go about replacing it?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Same question as above: have you edited the RasPi's /boot/config.txt file so it knows what kind of HDMI signal to send the display?

Floordoc

Post by Floordoc »

We have not. There was nothing on the page where that unit was sold offering instructions. It would seem to be a simple link to cut down on questions. While I'm doing that, is there any answer for why the screen will not respond when plugged into a Windows Laptop? Your instructions you directed me to say it should auto detect. The screen does the same thing there as on the Rpi.

Also, if the solution to change the config.txt works on this what has to be undone for the Rpi to work with the HDTV that it currently works with? It would be nice to be able to switch them with as little effort as possible.

Floordoc

Post by Floordoc »

Went back to watch the product video: "The Raspberry Pi does really well with HDMI graphics. It has scaling, and all this good stuff." Also: "Works with Windows and with a Mac."

I have yet to find something that it does work with. Still we'll work on the settings. It would be nice to have a selectable option for when the Rpi was hooked to a different larger monitor. I suppose the lines could be commented when hooking up to the TV but that would leave a position where they would not display when they were connected to the 5" display.

I agree with other posts I read. This display is presented as much more plug and play that it appears to be.

Floordoc

Post by Floordoc »

Setting the output resolution worked. For those reading this thread this is my general review of this screen.

Watching the video of this screen on the website, it discusses how good the rpi is at HDMI signals and how well it scales. There is not mention that this screens driver does not scale output and that output must be forced to its native 800x480 resolution. It makes switching the Pi from this screen to say a TV a bit cumbersome. I config.txt file must be generated to force the display to 800x480. We saved a copy of that as config-small.txt. We saved a copy of the original config.txt file to config-big.txt. With the Rpi plugged into a large monitor, we use sudo to copy the config-small.txt to config.txt thus overwriting. WHen it is then connected to the small screen it works. However, you are forced to wait until the PI is connected to the large screen to copy config-big.txt to config.txt and then reboot to get a good display on a larger screen. Maybe no-one else envisions switching back and forth. We see developing a game 'cube' that we could play on a small screen or take to a party and connect to a big tv. The need to alter the config.txt file to do that means that we need a game emulator that can be started on an OS that will allow us to manipulate the files.

Floordoc

Post by Floordoc »

One added item on the review. We were unable to get the screen to work 'plug and play' with windows. It was my understanding that was possible with this screen. I'm guessing I'd need to force the display to 800 x480 there too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”