Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Scope Captures to PC
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Scope Captures to PC

by MudAndSnow on Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Hello, I am interested in this scope or similar:

1 GS/s 50 MHz 4-channel Digital Oscilloscope - Rigol DS1054Z
PRODUCT ID: 2145
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2145

1 - Can this save recordings for viewing on a PC?

2 - What is the longest time I can record. I like being able to record for hours to test batteries and other slow stuff.

The writeup for the Rigol DS1102E , product id 1987 says "Plug in a USB key and save waveforms as a CSV or bitmap", I'm guessing that'll suit requirement my requirements. Does the DS1054Z do that too? Is there a better way?

MudAndSnow

Re: Scope Captures to PC

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu May 17, 2018 11:17 pm

The computer connection features are covered in sections 15 and 16 of the user's manual:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheet ... Manual.pdf

It supports USB device, LXI, and GPIB interfaces.

By itself, the scope's slowest timebase is 50 seconds per division, so one screen can show about 7-1/2 minutes of data. You can probably store longer sequences with a data connection to a computer, but it depends on the kind of interface you use and the software on the computer side.

adafruit_support_mike

by MudAndSnow on Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you for the quick reply. It sounds like it may only be able to record 7.5 minutes of data without a connection to PC. Can it not save multiple screens worth of data? What if USB key is inserted can it auto record to that? Didn't see anything in the manual about that.

To be clear, I want to record hours of data that I can view on PC later. I don't want to need a PC connected while recording the data.

I am trying to decide between this and a picoscope (a PC based scope that can record hours of data). I've had great results with the bottom end picoscope and was planning on upgrading to a faster model but this Rigol looks like a great deal. I'm almost sold on the Rigol but if I need to connect a PC to the Rigol to record hours of data then I'm wondering if it makes more sense to just get a PC based scope.

Has anyone used this Rigol scope to record hours of data? Did you need PC connected while recording? How was it? Is the software good?

MudAndSnow

by MudAndSnow on Fri May 18, 2018 11:55 am

Any chance someone has tried using a Rigol scope with PicoScope software? I'm guessing not, but that would make the decision easier, I like PicoScope's software.

MudAndSnow

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri May 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Yes, the scope can save waveform data to an external USB drive in several formats. Those are covered in section 14 of the manual.

In terms of software compatibility, you'll probably have to talk to Rigol:

https://rigol.desk.com/

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.