Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Workbench/workshop...equipment & projects?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Workbench/workshop...equipment & projects?

by 6sigma on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm about to equip a workbench/shop for some electronics & metalworking projects. With an eye toward building a retirement business, I want to hone some skills and ultimately open an equipment dealership, a time-share type of workshop similar to the crafts shops or pottery shops, only the focus would be one people who need equipment for electronics and milling projects OR use the workshop to actually make/mill/engrave or do projects for others.

Three questions:
  • Is there a demand for a time-shared workshop properly equipped with laser, milling and electronics equipment?
  • Is the field so saturated with on-line equipment dealers that a brick & mortar location couldn't make it?
  • What should I be following to spot the trends in demand for project equipment like those at Make/Adafruit/cnczone.com? (sites, associations, magazines, etc.?)

As a first-time poster, I may have posted the wrong kind of question in the wrong place. Be gentle.

Thanks.

6sigma

Re: Workbench/workshop...equipment & projects?

by streety on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:27 pm

It would be difficult to say whether there would be the demand without knowing where you are based. There would certainly be people interested (I certainly am) but are there enough people close enough to you to make it work? The other important question is price.
streety

Re: Workbench/workshop...equipment & projects?

by sirket on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 pm

6sigma wrote:
  • Is there a demand for a time-shared workshop properly equipped with laser, milling and electronics equipment?
  • Is the field so saturated with on-line equipment dealers that a brick & mortar location couldn't make it?
  • What should I be following to spot the trends in demand for project equipment like those at Make/Adafruit/cnczone.com? (sites, associations, magazines, etc.?)

Not only is there a demand- but several electronics "collectives" already exist. People pay a monthly or yearly membership fee and get access to milling machines, soldering stations, etc. The main issues are "where are you located" and making sure that you vet members. Some people are just abusive to equipment without even meaning to be.
sirket

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.