Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

BEST 102C Soldering iron stop heating
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BEST 102C Soldering iron stop heating

by IoTAll on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:18 am

Hi!

I just received the Adjustable 60W Pen-Style Soldering Iron - 220VAC Euro Plug - BEST 102C PID: 3760 from Adafruit and I am having issues with it.

It appears that the iron is sometimes stopping to heat up after powering it up for 1 or 2 minutes and cools down completely.
I need then to unplug the iron from power and plug it again.
Sometimes it heats up a little, then cools down and then start again to heat up without any apparent reason.
Sometimes it seems to work properlly and heats up and stay at a stable temperature.
Those wrong behaviours happens too often and the iron is not really usable.

All those heating stops happen without changing the controller settings.

Those behaviours are not supposed to happen. Could you let me know how we could proceed for a potential replacement?

One more question: I am using a simple oven temperature sensor to check the temperature of the iron.
I started to use it to confirm that the iron had a strange behaviours.
When I check the temperature in the base of the iron tip, when the iron controller is set to 380degrees, I measure a temperature around 180-200 degrees C (when the iron is heating up properlly). Does it make sense to have such a gap between what is indicated on the controler and the temprature I measure?
I checked with the same method my old soldering iron which is still working and it heats up the same temperature range.

Thank you!

IoTAll

Re: BEST 102C Soldering iron stop heating

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:52 pm

It sounds like there's a problem with the iron's thermal sensor.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement.

(#3760)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: BEST 102C Soldering iron stop heating

by IoTAll on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Great, thank you for your quick and positive reply!
It is already solved.

IoTAll

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.