Hakko stopped working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Hakko stopped working

by flounder on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:20 am

I got my Hakko back in 2015. It has worked extremely well until a few months ago, when it stopped melting solder. It claims the temperature is 425F, I’m using Sn/Pb solder, the same spool I had been using, but it no longer melts. I went looking for a replacement heating element, but ran across a complete replacement cord-and-iron. I got it; plugged it in, and got the same result. It is hot enough that after a bit of time I can feel the solder get hot where I’m holding it (about 1/2” back) but no melting, the same as the previous cord/iron. Hot enough to cause a damp sponge make a sizzling sound, but not hot enough to melt tinning material or solder.

Unlike previous posts, I am in the US and it has only been plugged into 120VAC.

It has been three years, but I hate to spend another $109 if I can get it repaied for less. Suggestions?

flounder

Re: Hakko stopped working

by franklin97355 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:03 am

Have you tried setting the temperature higher? Check with the Hakko site as I believe there is a reset sequence for the controls/display.

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:17 am

The internal temperature sensor's calibration might have gotten thrown off somehow.

Measure the temperature with an external sensor, then press the UP button until the first digit starts to blink. Then release UP and press it repeatedly until you get to the first digit of the actual temperature. Press ENTER to accept that digit and advance to the next.

That should put the controller's display back in sync with the iron's actual temperature.

adafruit_support_mike

by flounder on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 am

I carefully read the instructions in the manual, and realized that I quite possibly could have screwed it up, because the issue arises depending on whether you hold the button down for one second or two seconds. I don't have a way to measure temperature of the iron, but since this could be of interest to others, a friend to whom I described this problem (of having messed up the calibration) pointed me at https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-FG-100-Soldering-Iron-Tip-Thermometer-Temperature-Tester-0-700-p-952899.html. I ordered it, and it will arrive probably in a couple weeks, at which point I will recalibrate the iron. Meanwhile, I have my old standby soldering iron that I got in the late 1960s. Plug it in, it gets hot, melts solder. Temperature control? Late 1960s I was still in college and couldn't afford a good iron. Now that I can, I got a good one, then apparently messed it up.

Oh, well. Thanks for the advice. I expect it will solve the problem.
joe

flounder

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.