Issue with Quick 957DW+ - Fan Error

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Arudinne

Issue with Quick 957DW+ - Fan Error

Post by Arudinne »

Hello,

I emailed [email protected] but was told to submit a post here.

I purchased a Quick 957DW+ in October of 2017 on ORDER #1576574-8769150578.

Every-time I turn the unit on, after a few seconds the display will flash "F-E" and I never hear the fan spin up.

I popped it open and the fuse looks fine, I don't have a spare to swap with it though. Nothing appears to be burnt out and everything looks like it is connected properly. The fan motor itself seems to spin freely if I grab the end of the shaft with a pair of pliers and move it. I've also left it off and unplugged for 24 hours and that hasn't helped.

Is there any manufacturer warranty on this unit? Do you know I may be able to contact them? I've searched online but haven't be able to find any information on this unit or how to get a replacement fan for it.

Thanks,

Brandon
Attachments
20180924_191330-min.jpg
20180924_191330-min.jpg (539.25 KiB) Viewed 751 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Issue with Quick 957DW+ - Fan Error

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's a known-but-rare issue that seems to be related to memory corruption in the microcontroller that controls everything.

Unplug the device and let it sit without power for a couple of days. That will give the hardware time to bleed off any residual stored charge. It should go back to working normally when you plug it in again.

Arudinne

Post by Arudinne »

Hello,

I left it unplugged for 3 days and it's still not working. Can you provide me with the contact information for the manufacturer?

adafruit_support_mike

Our supplier contracts forbid sharing source information with third parties, but a web search for the name printed on the case produces this:

http://www.quick-global.com/

suffen

Post by suffen »

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have the same model and just got the error (Purchased November 2017), were you able to get a fan replacement? I took a peek inside and the fan doesn't spin. I've also left mine unplugged for three days and still got the same error.

adafruit_support_mike

I'm afraid we don't have any more information than what's posted above.

Arudinne

Post by Arudinne »

I've not had the time to try contacting the manufacturer. And with so little information available regarding them or the product I won't be surprised if they tell me to pound sand by the time I am able to do so.

As for finding the fan itself - I've had no luck. Everything I've find online shows a 2 or 3 wire fan and this is a 5 wire fan.

I have only sporadically needed a reflow iron so I'll probably just end up buying a higher end product when I need one again.

Unlike everything else I've bought from Adafruit I have no confidence in this product, but I guess you get what you pay for, most competing products run $200 to $800 or even more.

suffen

Post by suffen »

Arudinne wrote:I've not had the time to try contacting the manufacturer. And with so little information available regarding them or the product I won't be surprised if they tell me to pound sand by the time I am able to do so.

As for finding the fan itself - I've had no luck. Everything I've find online shows a 2 or 3 wire fan and this is a 5 wire fan.
Thanks for the response! I wasn't sure if it was worth waiting 1 week + to see if waiting around will magically fix it.

Arudinne

Post by Arudinne »

suffen wrote:
Arudinne wrote:I've not had the time to try contacting the manufacturer. And with so little information available regarding them or the product I won't be surprised if they tell me to pound sand by the time I am able to do so.

Thanks for the response! I wasn't sure if it was worth waiting 1 week + to see if waiting around will magically fix it.
In my case I have left it unplugged for well over a week and it's still broken.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”