Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Shopping for a new MultiMeter
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Shopping for a new MultiMeter

by mrramsey on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 am

Hi All,

I am kinda new to the electronics realm as far as building goes. My old multimeter is to say the least "pretty much crap". I think I bought it as a one time use in a pinch situation. Anyone ever used one of these? Ideal 61-340. or is it even adequate for working on electronics?

Here's a link for the specs
mrramsey

Re: Shopping for a new MultiMeter

by adafruit on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 pm

we have recommendations here http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/

adafruit

by rct on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 pm

How important do you feel True RMS readings are in a DMM?

I've seen some recommendations that say unless you are getting a low end meter you should consider getting one with true RMS.

Thanks.

rct

by adafruit on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 pm

if you need true RMS you'd know it :) if you arent doing electrical work, you probably dont

adafruit

by rct on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 pm

adafruit wrote:if you need true RMS you'd know it :) if you arent doing electrical work, you probably dont

While I get the gist of your point, in terms of less expensive meters being good enough for hobby electronics, I'm not clear on what you mean by electrical work. I'm assuming you mean more than basic household 60 hz A/C wiring at 120, 240 V.

I was concerned that non true rms might make a bigger difference for measuring a/c voltages where the frequency isn't 60 (or 50) hz in audio or rf applications. on the other hand, I'm guessing this is probably oscilloscope territory.

Thanks.

rct

by adafruit on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:49 pm

exactly, its oscilloscope work, you wouldnt use a multimeter -anyways- for that sort of thing.

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.