SOLDERING HELP PLEASE
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

SOLDERING HELP PLEASE

by guitarmods on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:42 am

ok, about 40 years ago i tool an electronics course in HS and "learned" how to solder

since then ive mostly wired guitars where skill is second to speed

so anything I may have known about proper technique is gone

getting back involved in making i knew my skillset stunk so i went and bought a mid grade station instead of my $5 pencil

plus i read MAKES booklet on soldering

its just not working out so well

making the snake eyes kit, what i found is that instead of a nice little dome of solder im ending up with long sloppy cones

biggest danger here is trying to make sure it doesn't short across anything else

using Benzomatic silver sore solder

iron set on 3/4, with a brand new precision tip

i thought the wide chisel that came with it might be a challenge so bought a set of tips and used what seemed most appropriate.

anyone w/ ideas i am all about learning, thats why were here right?

thanks

j

guitarmods

Re: SOLDERING HELP PLEASE

by oesterle on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:12 am

Hi, J!

Check out the very good video and guide Collin’s Lab: Soldering, in the Adafruit Learning System.

It’s important to get the right solder, and have the iron at the right temperature. The solder you’re using is, I believe, for plumbing, and very different from that made for adhering to and joining electrical contacts. That may be why your joints look strange.

The Solder Wire - 60/40 Rosin Core - 0.5mm/0.02" diameter - 50 grams would be easiest to start with. This solder works best with an iron set to around 650 degrees F (343 C), if your iron has an adjustable temperature.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.