Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Organizing componets
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Organizing componets

by crazycarl on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 pm

I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding storage containers for small electrical parts. How do you guys organize all your parts?
crazycarl

Re: Organizing componets

by hlantz on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:26 am

crazycarl wrote:I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding storage containers for small electrical parts. How do you guys organize all your parts?

Since I don't have a dedicated work space, I need fairly compact and portable storage for my components. I've found that getting a couple of assortment boxes (the kind you'd get from a hardware store to use for screws and bolts) is a solution that works fairly well for me. All the compartments are labelled with their schematic symbol and a description (such as "1N4001-4 diodes", "3mm LEDs", "1-100nF" and "misc NPN transistors") to allow for easy access. I store all the static sensitive parts in their anti-stat bags in the bins, which gets a bit bulky, but it works.

I know some people store smaller components in ziploc bags stapled to sheets of cardboard that are inserted in a normal ring binder. If you have the shelving space for it (and take anti-static measures into account) this can be fairly practical. I haven't tried it myself, but imagine it'd be fine for small components like resistors, diodes, transistors and ceramic caps?

hlantz

by sirket on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

crazycarl wrote:I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding storage containers for small electrical parts. How do you guys organize all your parts?

Flambeau. They make a ton of cases and they are very inexpensive. I love the T4007 myself. If you order direct from them you have to order by the case- but that's just 6 parts boxes and it comes out to like $18. They have a lot of sizes and options available. The web site is hard to navigate, but the product is excellent.

http://www.flambeaucases.com/
sirket

by GeorgeFrick on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 pm

goto walmart/etc. Find the hardware and fishing tackle area. You can find tons of lovely little multi-containers.

Stuff like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau-Outd ... t/10569385

I also use a tackle box to hold my project stuff, I have one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/South-Bend-Ta ... s/11068614

Can also check arts&crafts department:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Art-Bin-Super ... 5/12347631

Near the fishing/hardware stuff, they have these great little double-sided containers, they are like $3.00 and you can do all your resistors/etc.
GeorgeFrick

by hlantz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 pm

GeorgeFrick wrote:Near the fishing/hardware stuff, they have these great little double-sided containers, they are like $3.00 and you can do all your resistors/etc.

One think to take note of; when buying any sort of case that can be carried, make sure that the dividers go all the way up to the lid so that the contents can't move between compartments when you lift or lug it around. This is especially true for small components like resistors and diodes; transistors, ICs and LEDs might be big enough to stay in place anyway.

Just a word of advice from someone who, you know, didn't pay attention to that little detail. ;-)

hlantz

by crazycarl on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Many thanks for the tips!
crazycarl

by sirket on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 pm

crazycarl wrote:Many thanks for the tips!

The big problem with buying cases at Walmart/HomeDepot/Wherever- is that 6 months after you buy your case there- that model will be discontinued and you won't be able to find a matching case. That may not matter to you but it use to drive me crazy. I've been buying the same Flambeau cases for years and they always match.
sirket

by GeorgeFrick on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:17 pm

sirket wrote:
crazycarl wrote:Many thanks for the tips!

The big problem with buying cases at Walmart/HomeDepot/Wherever- is that 6 months after you buy your case there- that model will be discontinued and you won't be able to find a matching case. That may not matter to you but it use to drive me crazy. I've been buying the same Flambeau cases for years and they always match.

I've been looking at the Flambeau cases since your post and I really want to order a couple. I think the Walmart/etc thing is a great idea if you just got a bunch of stuff and it needs to be in something; but if someone is serious about their stuff I think ordering from Flambeau is probably better in the long run. Those cases just look gorgeous/higher quality.
GeorgeFrick

by Entropy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 pm

If I'm reading the links correctly, half of those Walmart cases ARE Flambeau cases?
Entropy

by Rotzog on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Rotzog

by sirket on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Entropy wrote:If I'm reading the links correctly, half of those Walmart cases ARE Flambeau cases?

I haven't seen Flambeau cases at Walmart- but I've never shopped there so I wouldn't know :)

I can say for certain I've never seen Flambeau cases at Home depot.

Looking at those Walmart links I only see a few Flambeau cases and they are way more expensive than I paid direct from Flambeau.

Also- Flambeau cases are made in America for those that care about such things.

I particularly like the T4007 because they use a separate hinge- instead of a molded hinge that can break off after a while.

I'll post some pictures of my setup as soon as I can. I built some wooden divider shelves to hold all of the cases.
sirket

by Entropy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 pm

sirket wrote:
Entropy wrote:If I'm reading the links correctly, half of those Walmart cases ARE Flambeau cases?

I haven't seen Flambeau cases at Walmart- but I've never shopped there so I wouldn't know :)

It may be online-only, but check George's first link. :)
Entropy

by sirket on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Entropy wrote:It may be online-only, but check George's first link. :)

I think you need to read the rest of my post- I talked about the links in the third sentence or so :)
sirket

by sirket on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

sirket

by rct on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:07 pm

The Flambeau T4007 is available at mouser for $4.58, quantity one Could be useful if you are ordering other stuff from mouser.
http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Flambea ... tTYw%3D%3D

For what it's worth, the 5007 and the 4006 (but not the 4007) are available from amazon $7.34 and $6.53 and are eligible for the usual amazon free shipping deals.

On a related note, the Virg. Tech Lab in a box for EE students has been using the Plano 7271 tackle box, it used to be available at walmart for $25.

rct

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.