Tremors and soldering

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robreuss

Tremors and soldering

Post by robreuss »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone needs to cope with the shakes while soldering? I have moderate tremors and I'm finding it very difficult. I'm using a vice, I'm cinching up the wire so there is not a long wavering amount, I'm bracing both arms against my body...and yet, I really bounce around and throw solder onto the wrong tips. Wondering if I should just give up before I ruin something.

Any other strategies or tips?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Tremors and soldering

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm bracing both arms against my body.
You might try placing a box or similar object near the vise so that you can rest your hand on it.

robreuss

Post by robreuss »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
I'm bracing both arms against my body.
You might try placing a box or similar object near the vise so that you can rest your hand on it.
Good idea! Thanks.

geebob

Post by geebob »

I've been dealing with tremors my entire life and have been soldering since my teens. One thing I've found that helps is to keep your work close to the table top as possible. I don't like using any type of vise that suspends the work up high. The stick vise they sell works well for me. Flux is your friend. When my mother taught me to make pie crusts many years ago her motto was work "swift and deft"... that applies to soldering too. Apply as little pressure as possible to the joint. I know it is tough when you are shaking but try to strive not to make up for it by applying more pressure. Always tin your tip. Stay on the joint only as long as it takes to turn the solder to a fluid state. If it seems you are on the joint too long back off and try again from a different angle. When you get solder where you don't want it get out the some flux and solder wick and remove it. If you are removing solder from a via with wire in it and you don't get it on the first try don't be afraid to add solder to the via and start again. That is just another step in the process. Trust me when I say if I can do it, you can do it!

robreuss

Post by robreuss »

geebob wrote:I've been dealing with tremors my entire life and have been soldering since my teens. One thing I've found that helps is to keep your work close to the table top as possible. I don't like using any type of vise that suspends the work up high. The stick vise they sell works well for me. Flux is your friend. When my mother taught me to make pie crusts many years ago her motto was work "swift and deft"... that applies to soldering too. Apply as little pressure as possible to the joint. I know it is tough when you are shaking but try to strive not to make up for it by applying more pressure. Always tin your tip. Stay on the joint only as long as it takes to turn the solder to a fluid state. If it seems you are on the joint too long back off and try again from a different angle. When you get solder where you don't want it get out the some flux and solder wick and remove it. If you are removing solder from a via with wire in it and you don't get it on the first try don't be afraid to add solder to the via and start again. That is just another step in the process. Trust me when I say if I can do it, you can do it!
It's a big relief to hear a success story! Feeling a bit discouraged this evening after it took me forever to do 40 pins! I guess it's a spiritual exercise - patience, attention, calmness. Thank you.

sergneri

Post by sergneri »

Yes, you have to breathe and stay calm. When I started I had a tendency to clench up and make too much of the effort. Now, after a lot of practice and screwing things up on the way, I seldom make an error, easy does it. When I find myself rushing or tensing up, I back off and breathe, think about what I'm doing, and dive back in.
BTW, learning how to de-solder is important too. It is very difficult with some of the boards with tiny leads and pads but it too can be done. Undoing your work will help when you realize you've placed A where B should be. Lots of good advice on how to de-solder that on the net.
Stick with it, its worth it.

robreuss

Post by robreuss »

sergneri wrote:Yes, you have to breathe and stay calm. When I started I had a tendency to clench up and make too much of the effort. Now, after a lot of practice and screwing things up on the way, I seldom make an error, easy does it. When I find myself rushing or tensing up, I back off and breathe, think about what I'm doing, and dive back in.
BTW, learning how to de-solder is important too. It is very difficult with some of the boards with tiny leads and pads but it too can be done. Undoing your work will help when you realize you've placed A where B should be. Lots of good advice on how to de-solder that on the net.
Stick with it, its worth it.
It's funny you mention that about desoldering. I got a nice new amp/mic unit and soldered the headers on the wrong side! It's an opportunity to learn desoldering I guess.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”