Panavise 350 - counterfeit or just poor workmanship?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Panavise 350 - counterfeit or just poor workmanship?

by hberg32 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi - could any panavise 350 owners comment on a couple things for me?

1. Does your lead screw turn smoothly?
2. Is your handle fixed by grub screws or is it friction fit by hollow tubes?

I recently bought one on major sale on amazon and I'm very unimpressed with the quality given their reputation. This thing is so poorly made I'm wondering if I could have received a counterfeit. If what I describe here doesn't sound typical I'll send this back and order from adafruit without hesitation.

The vise functions ok but the lead screw doesn't turn smoothly. It's just sticky enough to ruin that satisfying feeling one gets of using a Good Tool. The bushings on mine where the lead screw passes through the triangular plate are clearly sloppily made - they spin freely and catch momentarily on each revolution. A few moments with a metal file would probably set them right but on examining the handle to see why none of my screwdriver bits would engage the grub screw I find that it isn't fixed by a grub screw at all but rather by a hollow metal tube that's just been banged in. If this is how they're all manufactured I'll have to drill it out to remove it then tap the hole for a proper grub screw.

But the lead screw aside, all the parts have flashing all over them and the positioning of the holes drilled in the vise jaws waste space. If they had taken an extra few minutes during manufacturing to drill four holes instead of two then the max width would be about an inch larger no matter which way the jaws are oriented.

Does this all match up with other owner experiences?

Thanks,
Henry

hberg32

Re: Panavise 350 - counterfeit or just poor workmanship?

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:48 am

My experience has been that it is a solid, well made tool. That said, mine is probably about 20 years old. I don't know if the new ones are built the same way.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Panavise 350 - counterfeit or just poor workmanship?

by hberg32 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Ok, thanks for the reply. I absolutely flooded the lead screw with superlube air tool lube and washed out a ton of metal filings and loose paint and that helped some though the lead screw is bent a little. I'm now thinking that the problem with the bushings is that the hole is a little too large and the inside one is sometimes catching a thread and jamming. Adding locktite (of all things) after degreasing has fixed that. A better solution that could still be done without disassembly might be to find a very thin e-clip to add between the bushing and the thread or possibly cutting off the existing bushing and replacing it entirely with a thick e-clip.

Henry

hberg32

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.