Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

ferric Chloride and the etching process
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ferric Chloride and the etching process

by Spirou on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

my question is in the etching process and ferric Chloride. I was curious, do you guys have any tips in the disposal of the chemicals. organizations??? or a process were how many times i can reuse my chemicals in the etching process. with out endangering the environment.

IVAN V
In Daly city
Spirou

Re: ferric Chloride and the etching process

by westfw on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 pm

You can keep using it till it stops working.

Disposal issues are something of an urban myth, IMO. One of the major industrial uses of ferric chloride is in ... water treatment! That leaves the dissolved copper, which is not a particularly good thing for the environment, but if you're a typical hobbyist making a couple of square feet of circuit boards in a year, the copper output is likely dwarfed by the people who dump a couple pounds of copper sulfate down their drains as "root killer", spray their fruit trees with fungicide (also copper sulfate), or add copper algicide to their swimming pools.
(to be fair, CA no longer permits that first usage because of pollution concerns.)

westfw

Re: ferric Chloride and the etching process

by sirket on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 am

Please consider using Cupric Chloride:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eseychell/PCB/etching_CuCl/index.html

Cupric Chloride is simple to make and can be easily regenerated so there is never a reason to throw it out or worry about disposal. The page above is somewhat technical- but the actual process is simple and effective. I made my first batch of cupric chloride years ago and I'm still using it.
sirket

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.