Staking tool
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Staking tool

by adb1x1 on Wed May 01, 2019 8:22 am

I'm restoring an E&L Instruments C.A.D.E.T. Dig/Analog electronics trainer (I use these for prototyping since power, etc is build in and it's a stable surface to work on). A few of the mini breadboard pieces needed to be replaced. Got a few and note they have 'staking' posts to secure them to a mounting platform. I'm not a big fan of this mounting method for something this small and often stressed. I thot about using a small dot of hot glue on the posts rather than trying to melt them down, but I'm not sure the bond will last very long.

Anyone aware of a small staking tool for this? I can find a few specialized variations, but nothing simple for this kind of thing. I've done it with a soldering iron in the past, but it seldom turns out very well (hard to know/control the temp) and leaves a less-than pleasant aroma in the area)

adb1x1

Re: Staking tool

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 01, 2019 8:30 am

Can you post a photo? That might give us a better idea of what you have to work with there.

adafruit_support_bill

by adb1x1 on Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 am

Here is one of the replacements (stock Adafruit pic). You can see the post on the side. One on the other side too of course.
Attachments
2018-04.jpg
2018-04.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 460 times

adb1x1

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 am

I'm not a fan of hot-glue in general. It tends to let-go without warning. You might try a drop of high-viscosity cyanoacrylate.

It is also possible to friction weld plastics with a rotary tool. But I think it would be difficult to control on a small post like that.

adafruit_support_bill

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 am

You could use a piece of 1/4" steel or brass rod heated in a candle flame.

Obviously you wouldn't do that in production, but the metal will have enough thermal mass to melt the plastic. If you have the tools, you could drill a dimple in the end of the rod to form the top of a rivet.

The metal will cool down once it's out of the flame, making it less likely to burn the plastic.

adafruit_support_mike

by adb1x1 on Thu May 02, 2019 5:14 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I had considered using a brass screw with a polished end (and maybe a small dimple;. just hard to tell at what point the heat is correct.

Looks like the original builder used a soldering iron to melt the posts. Unfortunately several of the post 'stakings' have failed.

If I can find flat washers small enough, I may try using an adhesive that isn't extremely hard to remove (if necessary), apply a little, and slide the washer down over the post.

I'd hoped to find a tip for my temp controlled iron, but any I've seen so far are for industrial use and priced accordingly, Not worth the cost for this situation.

Guess I could find a curved tip for the iron and file the end flat.

Anyway, it's amazing sometimes how something that should be so simple, requires way too much attention.

adb1x1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.