Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Panavise Jr. Question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Panavise Jr. Question

by neutron spin on Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Does the Panavise Jr. need to be bolted down to the bench?....Is it heavy enough to work on small PCB's without fastening?....I think there is a heavy weighted base that is available but is it normally necessary? I wish to make it somewhat portable. Thanks.
neutron spin

Re: Panavise Jr. Question

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 pm

The base on the Jr. is stable enough for soldering operations on most boards.

adafruit_support_bill

by mojo on Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 pm

I have seen them screwed into a wooden or plastic chopping board of the type you would use in your kitchen. Lots of extra weight to keep it steady, a handy platform to work on and it protects your bench. You can also lean on it or clamp it to the bench if it needs more force to stay in position.

I have a question about Panavise PCB holders. Are they easy to rotate quickly? When doing through-hole work you need to put the components in, flip the board over, solder then and then flip it back over. The usual helping-hands arrangement of tightening screws isn't ideal as you keep having to tighten and untighten. What you want is something that slots into place at 90 or 180 degree positions as it rotates.

mojo

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed May 19, 2010 6:57 pm

You can tighten the base just enough so that it holds position for soldering, but is easy to flip. This is a little easier to do with the bigger Panavise bases. The ball-joint on the jr is smaller and the action is not quite as smooth.

adafruit_support_bill

by mojo on Wed May 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info.

Someone really needs to make a better PCB holder. How hard can it be?

mojo

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.