Digital Multimeter - Model 9205B+ PRODUCT ID: 2034
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Digital Multimeter - Model 9205B+ PRODUCT ID: 2034

by hawleyw on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:11 am

I love(d) this multimeter but when I pulled it out to use, six months ago, it wouldn’t turn on. I was in a rush and just trying to check a battery so I simply grabbed a more basic multimeter from my shelf and used that. A few weeks later I tried to use the 9205 again, opened it up, changed the battery, still had problems turning it on. I pulled out my other meter, checked both batteries and found them to be fine. I put one back in and tried pressing the power button in different ways; I was able to turn the meter on a few times, but not consistently.
Any advice? I bought the meter in 2015, have treated it well, use it 3-4 times a year and didn’t expect to have to replace it, ever. I’ve only had to replace one before, because of a leaky battery gunking up the contacts. I’ve bought new ones to upgrade features and my old ones still sit on the shelf and work fine when /if I pick them up.
Any advice or possibility of having this one replaced?

hawleyw

Re: Digital Multimeter - Model 9205B+ PRODUCT ID: 2034

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am

Our return/replace policy is 30 days. So it does not qualify for that.

Intermittent operation such as you describe could be due to something simple like oxidised switch contacts. Or possibly a broken connection somewhere.

Given the relatively infrequent use, I'd start by checking the switch contacts. I haven't opened one of those up, but if the switch contacts are accessible on the circuit board, you might try cleaning them with some contact cleaner or a pencil eraser (the mildly abrasive red ones work best).

adafruit_support_bill

by hawleyw on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:53 am

Hi. I just opened the unit up again, checked the battery, it’s still fully charged.
There was nothing obviously oxidized, burnt, or busted on the visible side of the circuit board, including no cold solder joints.
I then unscrewed the circuit board to examine the other side / the switch.
The switch is a plastic push button switch. It’s body is square, its plunger is square (and plastic) and it has a round cap/tip that fits over the square plunger and is what you see /press from the outside. I pressed the cap/tip trying to get the bounce from on/in to off/out with no luck. I pulled the cap/tip off and examined the square plunger. There is no visible corrosion or damage. I manually pressed the plunger, hoping for the bounce out but got nothing. I gently pulled the plunger and it came up, I tried depressing it again and again it stuck in the down position. I can exercise the switch some more but I don’t expect it to start behaving normally.
Can you possibly ask the manufacturer for a/a couple of replacement switches. Adafruit will have more pull with them then I have. In the meantime I will double check the switch for identifying markings to see if I can source one from mouser or digikey but I’ve never seen one like it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Hawley

hawleyw

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Not sure about spares from the manufacturer. But if you can post some photos of the switch, we might be able to identify a replacement.

adafruit_support_bill

by hawleyw on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:37 am

Here are two photos, one of the top of the switch, the other of the other side of the board showing the 6 poles.

I've a little movie which shows me pushing the switch down (to on position) and then pushing it again (which should result in it popping back up but doesn't, I can tug gently at the plunger and it pops up, but no amount of "exercising" the switch has fixed things). There's clearly a spring inside/below the plunger. I am not able to attach the movie to this post; if you'd like I can send it to customer service with a link for this posts' url.

multimeter on_off switch.jpg
multimeter on_off switch.jpg (354.98 KiB) Viewed 126 times

below is the lug side of the board (6 poles visible next to trim pot 202
lug side of switch.jpg
lug side of switch.jpg (346.9 KiB) Viewed 126 times

hawleyw

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:16 am

Looks like a DPDT (Double Pole/Double Throw) push-on/push-off switch.

Check the pin spacing. But this looks like a potential match:

https://vetco.net/products/dpdt-micro-p ... gJcf_D_BwE

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.