Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

FT232H Breakout Board. Not recognized under any OS.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FT232H Breakout Board. Not recognized under any OS.

by ada0602fruit on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:19 pm

Half the fun of doing these projects is solving issues like this but I must confess that this one has me stumped. So I am turning to this forum to see if greater minds may see something I might have missed.

Before I commit to soldering the headers onto a board, I tried to test it first to make sure it works. This one should have been easy since all that was needed as plug it into a USB port and get the system to recognize it. My intent was to do a simple loopback on the TX/RX signals but I never got that far. What are the odds that I may have received two defective FT232H breakout boards in a row? After almost a week of trial and error, no luck in getting any of my systems to recognize that there is a USB device attached to the system. It should be noted that I have a lot of experience with FTDI based products, their drivers, Debian, Windows, X86 and ARM based systems. So I thought this would be a cake walk, it wasn't.

Sorry for the length but here's the troubleshooting steps I have already tried

The first device I plugged into a Window 10 USB port. I was able to get it to show up momentarily under device manager but the the system reported that the wrong drivers were installed. After uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, that device went permanently dark and the system never recognized it as being attached to the USB port again. I tested it on three other systems using a combination of ARM/Debian and X86/Windows systems.

Thinking I may have just had a bad device, I ordered a second one and I was able to confirm that the first one was indeed defective since the second one had an LED indicator that remained lit whereas the first one never did light up. The second one however was never recognized at all by my system from the start.

Suspecting that I might have corrupt drivers or device conflicts I systematically went through installing and uninstalling various drivers both current and legacy versions on multiple systems. NOTE: My base test system already had FTDI drivers installed and my other FTDI devices still work thus confirming that USB and the FTDI logical interface was compatible with my test system.

I uninstalled the drivers using Windows OS remove device option and checked "Remove Drivers". Also tried FTDI's removal tool. Then I finally chased down all occurrences of the driver files on my system and removed them manually. After two days of installing and uninstalling current and older drivers, still no device could be found. Even without device drivers, the three OS's I used should have been able to detect that a device was connected. They did not.

Attempts on a second and third system did not yield different results even systems that had never seen an FTDI device installed on them. Those systems in no particular order were:

• Ubuntu Server 18.04 Intel I7 Platform - Not recognized by either the OS or USB View utility(Available on FTDI and Microsoft Website)
  • Raspbian using a PI4 and USB Utility
  • Pristine fresh Windows 10 install on a blank formatted drive where no other device had previously been plugged in. This was my base system used as a control for my experimentation. Also not visible using USB View Utility.(Available on FTDI Website)

Other tests:
  • Zadig - I've got a lot of experience and Zadig is intended solely to assign specific drivers to devices already enumerated by the OS. So in my case it didn't work since the OS can't see the FTD232H
  • Recompiling the drivers under Linux using the method prescribed in the drivers page on the FTDIChip.com website.
  • Prod Tool from FTDI website to see if I could force it to detect the device.

Can anyone suggest what I may have missed? Again, what are the odds of getting two defective devices in a row?

ada0602fruit

Re: FT232H Breakout Board. Not recognized under any OS.

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:54 am

Two random failures are unlikely, and we haven't heard any other reports of problems with that board lately.

Let's start with the basics and take a look at the hardware. Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by ada0602fruit on Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:21 am

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Two random failures are unlikely, and we haven't heard any other reports of problems with that board lately.

Let's start with the basics and take a look at the hardware. Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Not much to show but here it is. Note that there is solely the USB cable. Of course I've tested other cables as well to rule out faulty cable as well as other systems as mentioned prior.
Attachments
FT232H.jpg
FT232H.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 235 times

ada0602fruit

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:49 am

Swapping cables doesn't have a lot of diagnostic value.. there's a plague of charge-only cables out there, and it's become normal for people to say they had to try several before finding one that actually worked.

The effective test is to use a cable to connect a known-working USB device to the computer. The true positive of a working connection rules out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

adafruit_support_mike

by duane0 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Apparently FTDI has released a new Windows driver that bricks any device using a clone FTDI chip. It rewrites the Product ID. They have since removed this driver due to strong negative response.
See EEVBlog's rant at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU66as4Bbds .
There may be a utility to restore the Product ID.
For now it may just be better to avoid FTDI products to stay out of their pizzing match with the clone manufacturers.

duane0

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:06 pm

That was back in 2014, and there were bad actions on both sides. There were a lot of counterfeit FTDI chips out there, and a lot of companies didn't care.

The FTDI driver that broke support for counterfeits was a harsh move, but it forced manufacturers to pay attention to their supply chains. The free riders using counterfeits arguably deserved what they got, and a few legitimate supply chains found that they were more vulnerable to fakes than they thought.

FTDI paid the price though. That event made device manufacturers look for other USB-to-Serial converters, including us. We found the SiLabs CP2104, decided it had properties we liked more than the FTDI-232R, and have mostly switched over to that device.

adafruit_support_mike

by Bardonal on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Recently, I have got my FT232H to work under Arch Linux, using a modified version of the udev rule snippet from:
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpython-on-any-computer-with-ft232h/linux

Only after removing the GROUP="plugdev" part and saving in /etc/udev/rules.d/11-ftdi.rules the FT232H started working on my system.
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
# /etc/udev/rules.d/11-ftdi.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6011", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6014", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", ATTR{idProduct}=="6015", MODE="0666"

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Bardonal

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:14 am

Good information, thanks for posting it!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.