Issue with ATTEN AT-937 Soldering Iron

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Yarone

Issue with ATTEN AT-937 Soldering Iron

Post by Yarone »

Hello,

I am a high school teacher and I ordered the ATTEN AT-937 soldering iron back in November for use in my engineering class. I tested it as soon as it arrived to make sure it worked and I was able to tin the tip. I then stored it in our supply cabinet. When I pulled it out for my lesson yesterday, it did not heat up. The light turned on for about 20 seconds and then turned off. The tip was not warm enough to produce steam on the sponge and certainly not warm enough to use with the solder wire that I received from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1886). If I turned the switch off and on, the light again turned on for 10 - 20 seconds and then turned off.

I tested the unit again today and I got the same results. It does not seem that the iron is heating up and the indicator light is not staying on. This is the first time I am using the unit since first testing it when it arrived a couple of months ago. Please advise.

Thank you

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Issue with ATTEN AT-937 Soldering Iron

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. that sounds like there might be a connection problem between the control unit and the iron. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the iron's cable and see if that has any effect.

Yarone

Post by Yarone »

Thanks Mike, for your response.

I disconnected and reconnected the cable multiple times, and also checked that everything in the iron was fully tightened, but the results have been the same. Perhaps the iron + cable is faulty? If so, can I purchase a replacement?

In case it helps, when I flip the switch off, the light blinks briefly.

I look forward to your response. Thank you

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Darn.. but it was worth a try.

The symptoms you've described sound like an early component failure. Our usual return/replace period runs 30 days from purchase, but it sounds like you did check the iron as soon as you received it. I can arrange a discount on a replacement.

Send a note containing a link to this page and youir order number to [email protected]. The folks there will help you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”