Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Chinese FLUKE???
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Chinese FLUKE???

by easilyconfused on Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Do any of you have an opinion for these? I don't know if they're real Flukes or what. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28659
easilyconfused

Re: Chinese FLUKE???

by adafruit on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:34 pm

looks like a gray-market item. from the comments it seems like its the real thing, just priced differently for the chinese market (which wouldn't pay the full price)

adafruit

by pstemari on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:28 am

Fluke's website doesn't list a model 15B or 17B. Per some of the comments at DealExtreme, this appears to be a gray-market import of a model for the China market.
--Paul

A wholly owned subsidiary of:
Persephone: DL R+W+B C 7 X L W C++ I++ T+ A E H++ S+ V-- F+ Q P B PA+ PL
Aldebaran: DM Rt H 5 Y L- W+ C+ I++ T++ A+++ E H++ S+ V+ F++ Q+ P B++ PA- PL--
pstemari

by flapjackboy on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Technically yes, they are Fluke meters and yes, they are for the chinese market and as such are made under license from Fluke by some chinese meter manufacturer. That doesn't mean however, that they're going to be miles away from proper Flukes in terms of build quality internally.

In fact internally, things are looking quite good.

flapjackboy

by richms on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 am

They are fine IME, but the local fluke repair and calibration guys will not touch them when you break them.

richms

by stbtrax on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Dealextreme is by far not the most scrupulous vendor i wouldn't be surprised if it was counterfeit. I have gotten knockoff iphone power supplies from them with full apple branding misspellings and all.
stbtrax

by pstemari on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:30 pm

I've no experience with DealExtreme, but my rule of thumb for Harbor Freight is never to buy anything there that could cause an injury if it breaks. Unfortunately that rules out a lot of stuff.

I probably wouldn't trust these meters for high voltage work or testing lines with heavy inductive loads, but for bench-top electronics the biggest issue in most cases is accuracy. Fluke has a rather detailed paper on their site that I bumped into when checking out the bona fides of these meters that goes into a lot of detail about the hazards that cat III and IV meter certifications guard against. It was a really good read, and made me a lot more conscious about the risk of unexpected voltages.
--Paul

A wholly owned subsidiary of:
Persephone: DL R+W+B C 7 X L W C++ I++ T+ A E H++ S+ V-- F+ Q P B PA+ PL
Aldebaran: DM Rt H 5 Y L- W+ C+ I++ T++ A+++ E H++ S+ V+ F++ Q+ P B++ PA- PL--
pstemari

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.