Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Heat-Set Insert (PID: 4239) does not fit Adjustable 60W Pen-
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Heat-Set Insert (PID: 4239) does not fit Adjustable 60W Pen-

by LIDude on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:36 pm

ORDER #2308600-0433040843

Products:
1) Adjustable 60W Pen-Style Soldering Iron - 120VAC USA Plug - BEST 102C PID: 3685
2) Heat-Set Insert For Soldering Irons - #4-40 / M3 Inserts - from Virtjoule PID: 4239

Project: https://learn.adafruit.com/heat-set-rig/

Similar issue posted to forums in Aug/Sep 2019: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=155736

I am very disappointed and frustrated with my first experience with Adafruit when trying to build the Heat Set Rig mentioned above. After ordering the soldering iron and heat set tip linked in the Parts list, I found the heat set tip does not fit the soldering iron properly. It does not fit securely in place as the tip is too short. Additionally, when I searched the forum posts, I found another user experienced the same issue 9 months ago and there did not seem to be a resolution posted. They discussed using a different soldering iron and taking the sleeve from that soldering iron and using it with this one, however, purchasing another soldering iron is not an option. In fact, I already had a soldering iron with a heat set tip, however, that soldering iron did not fit well in the clamp designed for the project. Additionally, it uses a different style tip that is not compatible with this iron. Thus, I chose to order the soldering iron and tip linked in the parts list because I thought it would be good to have a dedicated soldering iron for the press and since the project was designed for this soldering iron the expectation is everything would work properly.

Like the other person who had this issue, I have posted a photo of the tip that came with the soldering iron and the heat set tip side by side showing the difference in length. I have also posted a photo showing the measurements of length of each tip. The heat set tip is 2.5 mm shorter than the tip that comes with the soldering iron. Lastly, I was able to use the heat set rig to hold the soldering iron vertically to I could take photos of the how the sleeve fits over each of the tips. I have posted a comparison photo. With the one that comes with soldering iron, you can see there is a gap between the end of the sleeve and the threads on the soldering iron. With the head set tip, there is no gap. The gap is needed so when the nut is added and twisted in place, the tip is held securely against the heating element and there is no play in the tip.

At this point I have a soldering iron with a heat set tip I can't use.

Is there is way to fix this issue?
Attachments
20200625_120039.jpg
20200625_120039.jpg (375.79 KiB) Viewed 94 times
measure tips.jpg
measure tips.jpg (449.82 KiB) Viewed 94 times
tips on soldering iron side-by-side.jpg
tips on soldering iron side-by-side.jpg (378.55 KiB) Viewed 94 times

LIDude

Re: Heat-Set Insert (PID: 4239) does not fit Adjustable 60W

by adafruit2 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:04 pm

hi we just picked out one of each and assembled them. the tips are a little longer, and there is some play, but that does not affect the heating - it warmed up super fast.

is your tip not heating up? what is not working, specifically, with the setup? we can send feedback to virtjoule who makes these

adafruit2
Site Admin

by LIDude on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 pm

As mentioned previously, I purchased this to use with the Heat Set Rig project https://learn.adafruit.com/heat-set-rig/ since these items were listed in the parts list and the rig was designed to hold this specific soldering iron. Also, my existing soldering iron did not fit in the rig and this seemed a simpler solution that trying to redesign the mount to fit my soldering iron as I am new to 3d printing/modeling.

What I liked about the Heat Set rig project is it allows you to press heat set inserts into a printed part in a controlled way with even downward pressure. I have had mixed success trying to set heat set inserts by hand.

I only went as far as placing the soldering iron in the heat set rig to confirm the fit and swapping out the tip. I did not plug-in the iron or attempt to use it.

I noticed you updated the project documentation on 7/3/2020 and based on the updated documentation, there does not seem to be a resolution to that does not involve purchasing a different soldering iron, modifying the existing soldering iron or just using it as is with the loose tip.

The issue I have with this soldering iron and heat set tip is simply the tip can not be properly tightened into place resulting in a loose fit that has some play in the tip. And you have also confirmed you found the same behavior when you tested the soldering iron and tip. While the loose tip may work OK in most cases, that was not what I was expecting when I purchased the soldering iron and heat set tip. Since I spent the time and effort to build the heat set rig, having a soldering iron with a loose tip is not an acceptable option.

As for your offer to send feed back to virtjoule, the company who makes these tips, I don't know if that is something that should be done because I have not way to determine if there is an issue with the tip. The packaging for the tip indicates it is compatible with the Hakko FX-888D soldering irons. My existing soldering iron is not compatible with Hakko FX-888D tips so I can't use that to determine compatibility. And, unless I'm missing something, the soldering iron packaging does not indicate what size tips are compatible with it. Thus, for all I know, it could be the soldering iron that was not designed to use Hakko FX-888D sized tips.

If there is another solution that does not require me purchase any additional items or manually modify the soldering iron to resolve the fit issue with the tip, please let me know. Otherwise, the I the only remaining option seems to be to return the soldering iron and tip and figure out how to modify the mount & mount cover parts of the rig to work with my soldering iron. In this case, please let me know what I need to do to return these items.

Thanks

LIDude

by adafruit2 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:07 pm

hi there's some play but it works fine for us and it was the same in the video/guide about the heat set rig. all inserts are identical and they work just fine for us. we tested it with all 4 irons we stock including a FX888 and it fits the same in all of them

if you cannot use them, email support@adafruit to return.

adafruit2
Site Admin

by LIDude on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 am

Thanks for the follow-up. I appreciate that you were able to check the fit in different irons including the Hakko. It is unfortunate and a bit surprising these tips do not fit any of the irons better.

I have a Weller WE1010NA which uses Weller ET-Series compatible tips. I also have the Virtjoule Heat-Set tips designed for ET-Series tips and when I have the heat-set tip in the iron there is no play. Given my experience with this iron/tip combination, I would have expected to get a similar fit with the Hakko FX888d compatible tip. This is the iron that does not fit in the mount so I'm looking at trying to modify the design to work with it. The downside is once I get a working mount, I will have to bolt it in for heat-set inserts and un-bolt it to use for soldering.

Given the tip did not security fit in any of the other irons, it definitely would be helpful if you could provide feedback to the manufacturer and find out about the fit. If this is something they can address, that would be great.

Thanks

LIDude

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.