Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

ST-Link STM8/STM32 v2 Programmer & Emulator
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ST-Link STM8/STM32 v2 Programmer & Emulator

by brynj on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi
I recently purchased a ST-Link STM8/STM32 v2 Programmer & Emulator, PRODUCT ID: 2548
When I use the programmer on my board which operates from a 3V coin cell battery I get warnings.
They seem to be intermittent.
This does not happen with a ST ST-Link V2 programmer.
I am programming via the SWD interface.
Any thoughts?

brynj

Re: ST-Link STM8/STM32 v2 Programmer & Emulator

by mikeysklar on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:28 pm

I found a thread on this in another forum and it seems that the budget ST-Link v2 does provide target power. It sounds like your board has it's own 3v supply which I assume you have connected and turned on during programming?

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... rget-power

Even an ST Link does not provide target power. You connect Vcc to power the level shifter in the ST Link. Such that the ST Link does not blow up an 1.8V target.

The budget version of the ST Link on the development boards do not offer this, and are only capable of interfacing with 3.3V targets. If your target is 3.3V, and not powered from elsewhere, you can connect 3.3V. If it is self-powered you can omit 3.3V.

I cannot find a board photo or circuit of the ST Link V2, but it will have some logic IC that provides level shifting/buffering between the STM32F103 (used in ST Link) and the target connector.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.