ES120 screw driver

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
quilltrott

ES120 screw driver

Post by quilltrott »

Got the ES120 as a gift.

Right out the box it would only turn a small fraction of a rotation then stop.
Charged for 7 hours. (Battery displayed as full)
Tried again got several rotation in the clockwise direction and then it would stop. Would then only do the small fraction of a rotation thing again.
The display also goes dark and will not turn back on unless plugged into a usb charger.
Tried updating Firmware. Followed directions that came with it. Plugged into several different PCs and it does not show up as removable flash drive. So I was unable to update firmware. I’ve used one of these before so I know how they should work.Please advise.

order number 2405997-4787079476

Franklin97355

Re: ES120 screw driver

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll check on this.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

it should just work, do you see the rotating icon on the oled? you have to sorta, 'twist' your hand

quilltrott

Post by quilltrott »

I know how to work it. I've used one that my friend has. This one is not performing anything like his. "it should just work"? I know it should but its not. It does show the screw icon but the motor still acts like I posted earlier.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

k lets replace it
email support@adafruit with a link to this thread

quilltrott

Post by quilltrott »

I got the replacement a few weeks ago. It worked great for about 5 mins and then did then started to have the same issues as the first one. I've been too irritated at this to post sooner. Please advise as to what options there are.

Right out the box it would only turn a small fraction of a rotation then stop.
Charged for 7 hours. (Battery displayed as full)
Tried again got several rotation in the clockwise direction and then it would stop. Would then only do the small fraction of a rotation thing again.
The display also goes dark and will not turn back on unless plugged into a usb charger.
Tried updating Firmware. Followed directions that came with it. Plugged into several different PCs and it does not show up as removable flash drive. So I was unable to update firmware. I’ve used one of these before so I know how they should work.Please advise.

order number 2405997-4787079476

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

if you have two and both aren't working, its something apart from hardware. what we dont know.
please email support@adafruit for a refund - not a replacement. find another screwdriver to use :)

zmilewski

Post by zmilewski »

I just got an ES120 as well, and am seeing similar problems. It's like the the torque sensing isn't operating correctly. Screen is fine, it just stops after running the motor for maybe a quarter-turn, regardless of torque setting. Firmware update appears to have worked but no change.

Is this pilot error, or should I set up an exchange?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

when we get these back, they work fine...so we think its just practice!

quilltrott

Post by quilltrott »

They sent me 2 of them both had the same problem. I would have thought it was something that I was doing but I’ve used my friends a lot and even had him try both of the ones I had. He had the same issues. I’m thinking there was a bad batch made. I’ve recently ordered another one from Amazon. If that ones bad then I give up.

zmilewski

Post by zmilewski »

adafruit2 wrote:when we get these back, they work fine...so we think its just practice!
Challenge accepted. In free air it stops after less than a second.

zmilewski

Post by zmilewski »

adafruit2 wrote:when we get these back, they work fine...so we think its just practice!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74n8lwl8t9o5y ... 4.mov?dl=0

zmilewski

Post by zmilewski »

To be fair, mine appears to work correctly exactly once on power-up, so it might be that your incoming inspection is lacking.

quilltrott

Post by quilltrott »

zmilewski wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74n8lwl8t9o5y ... 4.mov?dl=0

That is exactly what mine does. It’s driving me crazy they keep saying it’s something I’m doing wrong.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we dont use the screwdrivers when we receive them - we just check that they have the parts, have you asked miniwave for support? they make & support the screwdrivers, we can't imagine it isnt something a firmware upgrade could fix!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”