Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Soldering iron not working consistently
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Soldering iron not working consistently

by MongooseDoom on Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:22 am

I have the Adjustable 60W Pen-Style Soldering Iron - 120VAC USA Plug (BEST 102C) and when I first turn it on it will let me adjust the temperature but eventually it shuts off without me knowing. When I turn it back on again, it will no longer allow me to adjust the temperature and it stays at the lowest setting.

MongooseDoom

Re: Soldering iron not working consistently

by adafruit2 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:41 pm

odd, what if you power cycle it? like unplug, wait a few min, then re-plug??

adafruit2
Site Admin

Re: Soldering iron not working consistently

by seasidemotors on Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:59 pm

haha, had to laugh in hindsight. I had purchased the same unit and I noticed something similar.

After it had warmed up I was ready to take on the 40 pins of my pico. It would do great for about 3 or 4 pins and then all the sudden the solder would just sit there like the iron was cold and at first I would try to cycle the heat setting up and down a step and in about 10 seconds I was back on my way. In my case the iron was not shutting off, it was like it was hitting a temp limit, cooling down and then heating back up, I just gave it the patience it required and moved quickly when it was hot and relaxed when it went cold and heated back up. Solder 3-4 pins, relax 10-15 seconds, solder 3-4 pins, .....

I chalk this up to knowingly purchasing a red china special for $20. In the end I was able to successfully solder up my 40 pins on the pico, 4 pins on an LCD, and 4 more pins on a stemma qt adapter. I am happy I got that far in one sitting and everything works!

Like the solder, you just have to go with the flow ;)

Cheers,
Robert

seasidemotors

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.