Soldering iron not working consistently

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MongooseDoom

Soldering iron not working consistently

Post by MongooseDoom »

I have the Adjustable 60W Pen-Style Soldering Iron - 120VAC USA Plug (BEST 102C) and when I first turn it on it will let me adjust the temperature but eventually it shuts off without me knowing. When I turn it back on again, it will no longer allow me to adjust the temperature and it stays at the lowest setting.

adafruit2

Re: Soldering iron not working consistently

Post by adafruit2 »

odd, what if you power cycle it? like unplug, wait a few min, then re-plug??

seasidemotors

Post by seasidemotors »

haha, had to laugh in hindsight. I had purchased the same unit and I noticed something similar.

After it had warmed up I was ready to take on the 40 pins of my pico. It would do great for about 3 or 4 pins and then all the sudden the solder would just sit there like the iron was cold and at first I would try to cycle the heat setting up and down a step and in about 10 seconds I was back on my way. In my case the iron was not shutting off, it was like it was hitting a temp limit, cooling down and then heating back up, I just gave it the patience it required and moved quickly when it was hot and relaxed when it went cold and heated back up. Solder 3-4 pins, relax 10-15 seconds, solder 3-4 pins, .....

I chalk this up to knowingly purchasing a red china special for $20. In the end I was able to successfully solder up my 40 pins on the pico, 4 pins on an LCD, and 4 more pins on a stemma qt adapter. I am happy I got that far in one sitting and everything works!

Like the solder, you just have to go with the flow ;)

Cheers,
Robert

BrownImages

Post by BrownImages »

Adjustable 60W Pen-Style Soldering Iron - 120VAC USA Plug - BEST 102C PID: 3685

I ordered and have the above temperature adjustable soldering iron. On the second use, it will only turn on at the lowest temperature. The temperature cannot be raised above that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”