ES120 Screwdriver wont hold a charge, gets hot while chargin

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ifeldman

ES120 Screwdriver wont hold a charge, gets hot while chargin

Post by ifeldman »

My ES120 screwdriver will not hold a charge, and gets very hot while charging. After a full charge, the next day its at about 20%. I am assuming the battery needs to be replaced. Where can I get a replacement battery and instructions for changing. Thanks.

mikeysklar

Re: ES120 Screwdriver wont hold a charge, gets hot while cha

Post by mikeysklar »

There are pretty easy to take apart checkout this video.

https://youtu.be/VnRjoe0O9wE

I don't know the battery size for replacement. It looks like a half size 18650 that is soldered on.

How long have you had yours?

ifeldman

Post by ifeldman »

Its been a little over two years.

ifeldman

Post by ifeldman »

Thanks for posting the video. I opened the unit and the battery is a YJ10440, 3.7v, 300mah. It is the same size as a AAA battery with wires soldered to it. I just ordered some batteries from batteryspace.com with tabs. Will try these out. This was the only place I could find that had the batteries with tabs or wires.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Good job opening up your unit and ID'ing the battery. I have one that is about the same age so I guess I need to swap mine too now. Good luck.

ifeldman

Post by ifeldman »

I have successfully replaced the battery and now it stays fully charged. The old battery would not hold a charge and would not charge fully and got very hot. When I removed the old battery and removed the plastic covering the battery, I found a circuit board that the red/black wires were soldered to, and it contained tabs that the ends of the battery were soldered or welded to. The circuit board had some components on it. Not sure if it was a battery protection circuit that came with the battery or what its purpose was. I could not remove the tabs, so I just cut them off at the ends of the battery and used the same board and tabs with the new battery. In fact, it was easy to solder to the tabs. Put it all back together and good as new.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Well done and thank you for the update. Good to know that the battery PCB carries over well with a fresh battery.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”