Atten 80W Soldering Iron tip holes

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
michaelmeissner

Atten 80W Soldering Iron tip holes

Post by michaelmeissner »

I just bought the ATTEN 80W 110V Soldering Iron With Station - ST-2090D and a Hakko Soldering Tip: T18-S4 Fine SMD - For Lead or Lead-Free Use.

In setting up the soldering iron, I was surprised that neither of the two tips fit into the 5 holes on the side of the soldering iron platform that are clearly meant to hold soldering tips. I had some clone Hakko tips that I got and these tips are just the right size for the tip holes. I imagine if I force the tip in, I may be able to jam it in, but I would likely need pliers to get the tip out. Or I can use a drill or rotary tool to widen the hole.

It just seems unusual that the tip that came with the soldering iron would not fit in these holes.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Atten 80W Soldering Iron tip holes

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. that is odd. It might be a passsive brand support thing.

I assume ATTEN makes its own tips, and they might use a slightly smaller diameter so theirs fit the holder but HAKKO tips don't. It's a minor convenience issue that doesn't interfere with functionality or the iron's ability to use HAKKO tips, but would be enough to reward customers who stay inside the brand boundaries.

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Note, the tip that came with the soldering iron does not fit in the hole just like the Hakko branded tip doesn't fit. The generic brand tips do fit.

If the tip that came with the iron fit in the hole, then I could understand not supporting official Hakko tips.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'll have someone check it out. Thanks for letting us know!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”