Reel to Reel inspection base

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SWarner

Reel to Reel inspection base

Post by SWarner »

Hello folks - new to the forums; happened upon them while searching for some equipment online.

I've been scouring the interwebs for a reel to reel base - basically a reel to reel parts counter without the counter component (see APS GC-12 Reel Counter for an example).
I have several microscope stations set up around the lab, and in order to make the process of inspecting a reel of components through the tape simpler and safer on the components, I'm looking to be able to run parts from one reel to the other with the microscope sitting in the middle.

I've several emails to some parts counter manufacturers as well as vendors asking for the base with reel arms/shafts yet without the counter component, but have yet to receive any responses. I've been thinking I may need to manufacture something myself seeing as I can't find anything suitable online.

Any of you folks have a line on anything remotely close to what I'm describing - if my description makes any sense. ;)

Thanks in advance,
S.W. -- Quality Assurance Engineer

mikeselectricstuff

Re: Reel to Reel inspection base

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Why would you want to do this?
Have you had bad/wrong parts on reels?
Seems rather expensive from the labour cost vs. benefit point of view, compared to post-assembly test.

SWarner

Post by SWarner »

We're an independent distributor for components, we don't do any assembly. We do full inspections - xray, xrf, decapsulation, 100% microscope inspections, electrical testing, etc.
Pulling 3000-10000 pcs worth of tape off of the reel and piling it up to one side or the other of the microscope used for visual package inspections makes a large mess, as well as increasing the chance that the cover tape will fail, tape will kink, etc.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it seems like this would be a good arduino + stepper motor project + light sensor (for tape holes) kinda project :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”