ES120 cuts out/fails

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bytemaster0

ES120 cuts out/fails

Post by bytemaster0 »

I'm having an issue with order number 2639919, an ES120 motion-controlled screwdriver. Out of the box, it seemed to work well. However, just an hour or two into a 3D printer build, even with a fully-charged battery, the screwdriver often shuts down completely - I'll get to the end of a screw, and the screen will completely power off, and the entire unit ceases to function. The only way to revive it is to plug it into its microUSB cable for about 30 seconds, and it'll be good to go again for a while, only to completely shut down again after another couple of screws.

I suspect that the LiPoly battery is dropping in voltage a bit too much during increased load, which triggers a battery protection circuit, regardless of how full the battery actually is. When I first received the unit, the charge state was pretty low, lending credence to a battery that has been lying around for a long time, decaying over the period. Perhaps that's because nobody buys $100 screwdrivers? In any case, it's quite a letdown, particularly for such an expensive tool.

Can you please let me know what we can do about it? While it did save me some time overall, it was a frustrating 8-hour build, because I had to plug it in somewhere between 20 to 50 times to revive it. Thanks for your assistance.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ES120 cuts out/fails

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We’ve had a run of reports with similar issues. The folks at Miniwave have a firmware update, but you’ll need to contact them directly:

http://www.morningtools.com/list/15.html

bytemaster0

Post by bytemaster0 »

Thanks for letting me know. Is there another way to contact them? Their web form doesn't seem to work at all. It just briefly displays a red bar which disappears after a moment. No confirmation of submission to the system.

adafruit_support_mike

That’s the information they gave us. If you don’t get any response from them, post back and we’ll see what we can do.

bytemaster0

Post by bytemaster0 »

@adafruit_support_mike, I haven't gotten a single piece of communication from them in three days. I presume they will not support the product. Can you please assist?

bytemaster0

Post by bytemaster0 »

Can anyone help me here please? I have a $100 paperweight that has no support.

adafruit_support_mike

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will process a refund for you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”