Decent Soldering Equipment

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flash.pc

Re: Decent Soldering Equipment

Post by flash.pc »

My vote for JBC stations. They are simply in a league of their own!
I've never looked for anything else since I got one of their stations.

P.S. If you live in Europe I can suggest a few places to buy JBC stuff.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

OP doesnt live in Europe, but I do, if you know any good places to buy, please post them

flash.pc

Post by flash.pc »

In USA and North America you won't find anything better than janelonline.
In Europe the easiest way to order JBC stuff is on tme.eu.

P.S. I have a brand new JBC CD-2BB kit for sale. Maybe you could be interested.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim »

could be interresting, depending on price, but that series is the one before they started to add the usb connector? (Kinda fancy the system for monitoring temperature on the computer ;) )

analoger

Post by analoger »

I'm going for JBC this model:

http://www.jbctools.com/dit-premium-sol ... enu-1.html

The price: $730 for 120 V

http://www.jbctools.com/cataleg.php?pro=3&id=1#DIT

Thanks guys. This was very helpful to know the pros and cons of each system. At least no body complained about JBC ;)

flash.pc

Post by flash.pc »

neslekkim wrote:could be interresting, depending on price, but that series is the one before they started to add the usb connector? (Kinda fancy the system for monitoring temperature on the computer ;) )
You can find my offers here:
"JBC CD-2BB soldering station JBC T245-A and 4xC245 tips" - ebay.co.uk
"JBC CD-2BB soldering station + extras" - Buy/Sell/Wanted section of EEVblog forum (4 tips and free shipping within EU)

metcalman

Post by metcalman »

analoger wrote:JBC is the king and I would go for it, but the model I want is around $250 extra for 120V version. :?

With Metcal not recommended for low temperature solder stuff...I'm hesitate to go for it.

Hakko FX-951 has this cool capability of changing tips easily, but not sure how fast its thermal recovery or how long it takes before I can safely touch the tip. :mrgreen:
Who doesn't recommend the Metcal for low temperature soldering? For the MX series, you can purchase cartridges in the 500, 600, 700 and 800 degree ranges.

analoger

Post by analoger »

For the MX series, you can purchase cartridges in the 500, 600, 700 and 800 degree ranges.
What if I want a temperature that does not exceed the 250 C range? :wink:

daveng

Post by daveng »

It looks like you've already made your choice so I'm late to the party, but I wanted to offer my opinion since I've been looking at many soldering stations myself for a while and perhaps someone other than myself may find all these recommendations helpful. I know everyone's situation and budget is different, but I often find myself soldering connectors and repairing electronics at work and I am getting into building circuits in my free time. I started with a few hobby kits and moved on to more complicated designs that others have shared for my own projects, but I found myself going back to the soldering station at work when it was important or needed to look good. That iron is just an old analog WES51 but was still a huge improvement over ordinary plug-in pencil irons i grew up with. So I decided I needed an upgrade. I wanted something that was well-made and that used the latest high-performance cartridge style tip technology. I eventually chose the American-made Pace ADS200 over the Hakko FX-951 which also comes highly recommended all over the internet and came a close second. The Pace user interface is simple and intuitive unlike the Hakko which feels clunky like setting an alarm clock from the 80's. The sleep feature in the stand (Instant SetBack) saves the life of tips that are already the cheapest ($10-15) and longest-lasting out there, so it has a low cost of ownership. And it has the power to tackle difficult tasks if I someday need it. I realize the average hobbyist may not want to spend that kind of money on a soldering iron, but I've got a lot of soldering in my future and I've found with tools and most everything else that you get the quality you pay for. Happy soldering!
Last edited by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moderator edit: removed links

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”