Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

9205B+ On/Off switch broken?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

9205B+ On/Off switch broken?

by inches on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Is the 9205B+ multimeter switch supposed to keep the screen on?

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2034

I see that the on/off switch seems to click into an on or off position, but the numbers on the readout only appear when I'm physically holding the power button down on it. If I put it on the noise setting and touch the two connectors together (while holding down the power button) I get a really low sickly sound out of it, not any kind of a tone at all.

I'm new to multimeters, so maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. Can anybody help me out please?

I did do a tongue test on the 9V and found that it does in fact still have charge in it.

It almost looks as if parts were broken off? (bottom left circle and the rectangle) No idea. And there's other stuff smudged across the other circled areas.

IMG_20160118_170229.jpg
IMG_20160118_170229.jpg (537.32 KiB) Viewed 740 times

This was order #988194-8426682706

inches

Re: 9205B+ On/Off switch broken?

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:56 pm

That's flux residue. It isn't pretty, but shouldn't cause problems functionally.

It does sound like there's a problem with the selector switch though. Send a note to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

(#2034)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 9205B+ On/Off switch broken?

by inches on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply.

I had opened this with support and everything is good on that front but now I'm returning because I can't get it off my mind ^_^

I'm curious about how a problem like this could be fixed. I'm wondering if the pins of the on/off button are supposed to be bridged or not. You can see in the top right sqaure that they are.

I think it's a dpdt switch but I haven't completely removed it in order to test it out.

Could I ask you to post a picture of a working circuit board of this multimeter so that I may be able to compare it to mine please?

I also noticed that the piezo ground wire was bridged with the positive red wire and I fixed that.

inches

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.