Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Helping Third Hand: CA prop65 warning on box?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Helping Third Hand: CA prop65 warning on box?

by username0 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 am

The product page for the "Helping Third Hand Magnifier" tool indicates that the product is ROHS. Nevertheless, product came in a box that seems to have a California Prop 65 warning on it: "This product may contain substances known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive toxicity." I realize that ROHS and Prop65 have different requirements, but am surprised that something requiring a Prop65 warning could also be labeled ROHS. Can you please provide some clarification? Thank you.

username0

Re: Helping Third Hand: CA prop65 warning on box?

by franklin97355 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:23 pm

This product may contain substances known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or reproductive toxicity.
The operative word is "MAY" some companies will mark all their products with this warning to satisfy the California law without having to test and certify each product or component.

franklin97355

by username0 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:21 am

Thanks for your reply. My confusion stems from the product web page indicating ROHS and the box giving the Prop65 warning. If the manufacturer has placed the warning in order to avoid testing, then how was it determined that the ROHS label was appropriate for this item on the Adafruit product web page? Thanks again for your help.

username0

by franklin97355 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:39 am

ROHS and Prop65 have different requirements. One can test for ROHS and sell around the world where only California has it's standard.

franklin97355

by username0 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:51 am

Yes, that's a good point. But I confess I'm still confused about the box's labeling. If the company bothered to put the Prop65 warning on the box, because they didn't want to deal with California-specific testing, and the company also did go to the effort of establishing the product's compliance with ROHS, then I'm surprised that they didn't also bother putting an ROHS label on the box, as well. ROHS compliance is a good thing, after all.

Ultimately, I just wish to establish whether this product really does comply with ROHS, or whether Adafruit's product web page indicates ROHS in error. The product box itself provides no evidence of compliance with ROHS; to the contrary, it provides a (possibly gratuitous) warning. If you are able to help determine the product's actual state-of-compliance, I'd be most appreciative. If that proves difficult, then no worries -- I'll return the item if possible.

Thank you again for your time.

username0

by adafruit on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:27 pm

hiya,

we checked with the supplier - (Sona) can not confirm RoHS compliance, as the factory has not provided them with any test docs. we updated the page - RoHS applies to electronic components/devices, which this is not, so not applicable.

adafruit

by username0 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 pm

adafruit wrote:hiya,

we checked with the supplier - (Sona) can not confirm RoHS compliance, as the factory has not provided them with any test docs. we updated the page - RoHS applies to electronic components/devices, which this is not, so not applicable.

Thank you very much for checking.

username0

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.