USB Voltage Meter (OLED version) no workie

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
squidly1

USB Voltage Meter (OLED version) no workie

Post by squidly1 »

Hey all:

Got my new USB Voltage Meter (with OLED display) along with some other goodies today (yay). But when I went to test out the USB voltage meter in line with a device it failed to show anything other than the "Welcome" boot screen. I watched the New Products video from 19 August 2015, which shows Limor using this awesome product by itself and in line with a load, so I don't think I'm using it wrong and she didn't say that there was any hokey-pokey needed to get it to work. I checked the product card that came in the carrier box and there's nothing special written on it concerning a process - just plug and play. I've hooked it up using different power sources, loads and cables, and all I get is the "Welcome" screen and then it goes dark. The only thing it does is that it passes a charge to any attached load - just no display to show me details about the voltage, amps or watts - nadda. No error messages to report either.

Also, I tried pressing the button on the back (the one that resets stored readings) just for good measure - didn't budge : (.

Taking a photo is a no go. I don't have a camera that will shoot as fast as the screen clears (and I don't have an extra hand to snap a pic while holding the camera and plugging in the unit). So I have the following link showing a brief video:
http://schleppingsquid.net/USBVM/USBVM-Problem.MP4

Product I purchased: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2690

- Theresa

adafruit2

Re: USB Voltage Meter (OLED version) no workie

Post by adafruit2 »

hey squidly - thats not good - lets get you a new one. email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and we'll send you a replacement. (you can also try pressing the button on the back but i dont think that will actually fix it)

squidly1

Post by squidly1 »

Sorry about the lag in my reply. I received the new meter and it works like a champ! Thanks!!

rickbit

Post by rickbit »

Hi Support Team,

I recently received my USB voltage meter: http://www.adafruit.com/products/2690 and I'm having the same issue as squidly1.

In my case the meter remains stuck on the welcome screen after power-up each time I insert it into a USB port. This happens with or without a test USB device connected to the meter. I pressed the display reverse button on the back of the meter (momentarily and press-hold) while it was powered up, but it had no effect. The display simply shows "WELCOME" and then hangs indefinitely. The meter will allow a connected device to charge, but nothing appears on the display except the welcome message.

Thanks in advance,
-Rick

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

When did you get the meter?

rickbit

Post by rickbit »

I received the meter on or around Sep-26.

It was part of Order#: 1862903-1535380169

-Rick

adafruit_support_mike

Thank you. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement.

rickbit

Post by rickbit »

Will do. Thank you for your help.

rickbit

Post by rickbit »

Old and new USB volt meters
Old and new USB volt meters
USB_V_meters.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 759 times
A status update: I received the replacement USB voltage meter a few days ago. Eager to try it, I connected the meter between my cell phone and its charger. I was happy to see the meter power up, switch from the welcome screen to the readings screen, and display the voltage, current, and power readings as advertised. The meter continued to work well for several minutes until I disconnected it. Later I tried to use the meter again. I connected it to a USB port on my laptop, but this time the display didn't light up. I thought I had done something wrong. I inserted the meter into each of my laptop's USB ports, but the meter failed to power up. I then connected the meter to my cell phone and its charger, just as I had done before, but the display remained dark. There was no hint of life. The meter will pass current and allow a connected device to charge, but otherwise appears to be dead.

The photo shows the original meter (top) and the replacement meter (bottom) connected to my laptop. The original meter still refuses to move beyond the welcome screen. The replacement meter initially worked, but now refuses to display anything at all. I can’t remember ever having such poor luck with a new device. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rick

adafruit_support_mike

At this point I'm afraid all we can do is offer a refund. It's possible that something in the operating environment is contributing to the failures.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order to [email protected]. The folks there will arrange a refund for the cost of the meter.

rickbit

Post by rickbit »

Ok, will do. Thanks again for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”