Calculate Earth Referenced Acceletation with BNO055

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bugratufan

Calculate Earth Referenced Acceletation with BNO055

Post by bugratufan »

Hello,
I bought an IMU ( BNO055) and I need to calculate earth referenced acceleration. How can I do that?

Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Calculate Earth Referenced Acceletation with BNO055

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have detailed guides for using this sensor with Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Beagle Bones:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-bno ... n?view=all
https://learn.adafruit.com/bno055-absol ... e?view=all

bugratufan

Post by bugratufan »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:We have detailed guides for using this sensor with Arduino, Raspberry Pi and Beagle Bones:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-bno ... n?view=all
https://learn.adafruit.com/bno055-absol ... e?view=all
I used this formula but I think it doesn't work. I compared raw acceleration data with quaternion calculated acceleration data. But there are not similar. Actually I need to transform acceleration data to earth cooordinate system. I need to fetch my robots acceleration in 3 dimension.

Code: Select all

imu::Quaternion quat = bno.getQuat();
  quat.x() = -quat.x();
  quat.y() = -quat.y();
  quat.z() = -quat.z();
  // fetch linear acceleration (excludes gravity)
  imu::Vector<3> linearaccel = bno.getVector(Adafruit_BNO055::VECTOR_LINEARACCEL);

// compute earth-referenced acceleration (excludes sensor tilt)

acc[0] = (1-2*(quat.y()*quat.y() + quat.z()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[0] +   (2*(quat.x()*quat.y() + quat.w()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[1] +   (2*(quat.x()*quat.z() - quat.w()*quat.y()))*linearaccel[2];  // rotate linearaccel by quaternion
  acc[1] =   (2*(quat.x()*quat.y() - quat.w()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[0] + (1-2*(quat.x()*quat.x() + quat.z()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[1] +   (2*(quat.y()*quat.z() + quat.w()*quat.x()))*linearaccel[2];
  acc[2] =   (2*(quat.x()*quat.z() + quat.w()*quat.y()))*linearaccel[0] +   (2*(quat.y()*quat.z() - quat.w()*quat.x()))*linearaccel[1] + (1-2*(quat.x()*quat.x() + quat.y()*quat.y()))*linearaccel[2];

adafruit_support_bill

I compared raw acceleration data with quaternion calculated acceleration data. But there are not similar.
Please post an example of the data you are referring to.

bugratufan

Post by bugratufan »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
I compared raw acceleration data with quaternion calculated acceleration data. But there are not similar.
Please post an example of the data you are referring to.

I want to transform bno055's acceleration data to my coordianate system whichever rotations when my sensors turns. Because ı calculate position with this acceleration data.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-23 at 15.36.41.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-23 at 15.36.41.jpeg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 2091 times

adafruit_support_bill

I want to transform bno055's acceleration data to my coordianate system whichever rotations when my sensors turns. Because ı calculate position with this acceleration data.
Are you trying to calculate position or orientation? The BNO055 can give you orientation directly in Euler or Quaternion form.

If you want to calculate position, you need to do a double integration on the raw data. Due to the double integration, this is subject to cumulative errors and not likely to be accurate over the long-term.

bugratufan

Post by bugratufan »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
Are you trying to calculate position or orientation? The BNO055 can give you orientation directly in Euler or Quaternion form.

If you want to calculate position, you need to do a double integration on the raw data. Due to the double integration, this is subject to cumulative errors and not likely to be accurate over the long-term.

But x,y and z directions of position may depend on bno055's physical positon. First I will put bno055 on first object then I will reset it. Later, I will put this on the second object then, I will calculate the distance between two objects.

adafruit_support_bill

To estimate the distance between the two objects, you would need to do a double integration of the raw data through the duration of the move from the first location to the second location. You would need to integrate both the gyro data to account for any rotation along the way, as well as the acceleration data to capture changes in velocity.

gammaburst

Post by gammaburst »

Hi bugratufan,

That looks like a code snippet from one of my examples.

To transform the BNO's sensor-referenced linear acceleration to an earth-referenced linear acceleration, rotate the BNO's linear acceleration by the conjugate of the BNO's normalized quaternion. That's what my code snippet should do.

Here's a working example that outputs earth-referenced linear acceleration:
- With sensor at rest, see zero acceleration.
- Shake sensor east-west, see only X acceleration.
- Shake sensor north-south, see only Y acceleration.
- Shake sensor up-down, see only Z acceleration.
- The output acceleration vector is now unaffected by sensor orientation.
- Tested with Arduino Uno + BNO055.
- Remember to calibrate the sensor.
- My axes names may be arranged differently than yours.

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_Sensor.h>
#include <Adafruit_BNO055.h>

#define BNO055_SAMPLERATE_PERIOD_MS 10

Adafruit_BNO055 bno = Adafruit_BNO055(55);

unsigned long tnext, tnow;

void setup(void)
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Orientation Sensor Test"); Serial.println("");

/* Initialise the sensor */
  if(!bno.begin())
  {
    Serial.print("Ooops, no BNO055 detected ... Check your wiring or I2C ADDR!");
    while(1);
  }
  tnext = millis() + 100;
}

void loop(void)
{
  // fetch quaternion, negative
  quat.x() = -quat.x();
  quat.y() = -quat.y();
  quat.z() = -quat.z();

imu::Vector<3> linearaccel = bno.getVector(Adafruit_BNO055::VECTOR_LINEARACCEL);

imu::Vector<3> acc;
  acc[0] = (1-2*(quat.y()*quat.y() + quat.z()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[0] +   (2*(quat.x()*quat.y() + quat.w()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[1] +   (2*(quat.x()*quat.z() - quat.w()*quat.y()))*linearaccel[2];  // rotate linearaccel by quaternion
  acc[1] =   (2*(quat.x()*quat.y() - quat.w()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[0] + (1-2*(quat.x()*quat.x() + quat.z()*quat.z()))*linearaccel[1] +   (2*(quat.y()*quat.z() + quat.w()*quat.x()))*linearaccel[2];
  acc[2] =   (2*(quat.x()*quat.z() + quat.w()*quat.y()))*linearaccel[0] +   (2*(quat.y()*quat.z() - quat.w()*quat.x()))*linearaccel[1] + (1-2*(quat.x()*quat.x() + quat.y()*quat.y()))*linearaccel[2];

Serial.print("EarthRefAccel:");
  for (int n=0; n<3; n++)
  {
    String s = String(acc[n]);
    for (int m=s.length(); m<7; m++)
      Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(s);
  }
  Serial.println("");

tnow = millis();
  delay(tnext - tnow);
  tnext += BNO055_SAMPLERATE_PERIOD_MS;
}
If that's not the transformation you want, please explain more clearly.

Using the BNO055's fusion outputs (such as linear acceleration) to compute velocity or displacement generally gives unsatisfactory results. The BNO is not a precision instrument. If you somehow achieve good results, please share your technique.

bugratufan

Post by bugratufan »

gammaburst wrote:Hi bugratufan,

That looks like a code snippet from one of my examples.

To transform the BNO's sensor-referenced linear acceleration to an earth-referenced linear acceleration, rotate the BNO's linear acceleration by the conjugate of the BNO's normalized quaternion. That's what my code snippet should do.

Here's a working example that outputs earth-referenced linear acceleration:
- With sensor at rest, see zero acceleration.
- Shake sensor east-west, see only X acceleration.
- Shake sensor north-south, see only Y acceleration.
- Shake sensor up-down, see only Z acceleration.
- The output acceleration vector is now unaffected by sensor orientation.
- Tested with Arduino Uno + BNO055.
- Remember to calibrate the sensor.
- My axes names may be arranged differently than yours.

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_Sensor.h>
#include <Adafruit_BNO055.h>

#define BNO055_SAMPLERATE_PERIOD_MS 10

Adafruit_BNO055 bno = Adafruit_BNO055(55);

unsigned long tnext, tnow;

void setup(void)
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Orientation Sensor Test"); Serial.println("");

/* Initialise the sensor */
  if(!bno.begin())
  {
    Serial.print("Ooops, no BNO055 detected ... Check your wiring or I2C ADDR!");
    while(1);
  }
  tnext = millis() + 100;
}

void loop(void)
{
  // fetch quaternion, negative
  quat.x() = -quat.x();
  quat.y() = -quat.y();
  quat.z() = -quat.z();

imu::Vector<3> acc;

Serial.print("EarthRefAccel:");
  for (int n=0; n<3; n++)
  {
    String s = String(acc[n]);
    for (int m=s.length(); m<7; m++)
      Serial.print(" ");
    Serial.print(s);
  }
  Serial.println("");

tnow = millis();
  delay(tnext - tnow);
  tnext += BNO055_SAMPLERATE_PERIOD_MS;
}
If that's not the transformation you want, please explain more clearly.

Using the BNO055's fusion outputs (such as linear acceleration) to compute velocity or displacement generally gives unsatisfactory results. The BNO is not a precision instrument. If you somehow achieve good results, please share your technique.
Hello gammaburst,
First of all, thanks for your reply. This code snipped is from you. Your quartenion formula is works so good. But I need to calculate distance between two objects. First, I calculate earth referenced acceleration with your quartenion formula. Then I calculate double integration of each direction. But, this integration didn't give me a close position. Actually, it's so wrong result.
I don't need to calculate absolute position but it must be consistent. Gammaburst, you look like wise. I am waiting your reply impatiently.

gammaburst

Post by gammaburst »

Oh, when you said "I used this formula but I think it doesn't work", I tried to clarify its purpose. Now I see your problem is something else.

When I place the BNO055 on a table and display its Linear Acceleration data, I see the values are slightly offset from zero. I pick up the BNO, wiggle it slightly, and put it back down. The offsets are now different. The BNO keeps changing its mind! Such erratic behavior spoils any hope of calculating velocity or displacement.

Instead of using the BNO's erratic fusion outputs (linear acceleration, gravity, quaternion, euler), you might get better results by reading its raw sensors (accelerometer gyroscope and possibly magnetometer) and doing your own calibration and AHRS math. I have not tried doing that, and I don't know if the results will be better. One possible starting place would be the Mahony library: https://learn.adafruit.com/ahrs-for-ada ... algorithms
Beware, this approach probably has a steeper learning curve!
Last edited by gammaburst on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bugratufan

Post by bugratufan »

Thanks for your help. I will try it and I will tell the result.

slinger87

Post by slinger87 »

Hi Gammaburst,

I have one small question.

When browsing the forum for information about the quaternion derived rotation matrix, I found your help very useful.

But I also found multiple "+/-" variations of the rotation matrix. There is a difference how the function assign the +/- signs. Not just the inverse, but also the order. Take the 2 examples for the rotation matrix you provided.

I'm not really a mathematic so I can't make any sense of it.

Thanks!!

gammaburst

Post by gammaburst »

Seems like everyone uses different axes conventions. Confusing

Sometimes I need to convert from unclear or undocumented axes into familiar aerospace axes conventions, or sometimes into another project's unusual axes. Many times I've done trial-and-error axes flipping and swapping (with occasional educated guesses) until everything rotates and moves correctly.

Can you clarify which of my examples you're looking at, and your goals?

slinger87

Post by slinger87 »

Hi Gammaburst,

Thanks for your response. My goal is to rotate linear acceleration from body to earth reference frame. I am testing with the BNO055 now, but as you stated earlier, the Sensor Fusion is a bit erratic. So I want to use my good old mpu9250. I also like to understand a bit of the underlaying theory. I want to use a quaternion derived rotation matrix, which I like to calculate myself.

For example, this I an other version of the rotation matrix you provided:

void rotate_vector_by_conjugate_quaternion(float *vx, float *vy, float *vz, float qw, float qx, float qy, float qz)
{
  float tx = (1-2 * (qy * qy + qz * qz)) * *vx +   (2 * (qx * qy - qw * qz)) * *vy +   (2 * (qx * qz + qw * qy)) * *vz;
  float ty =   (2 * (qx * qy + qw * qz)) * *vx + (1-2 * (qx * qx + qz * qz)) * *vy +   (2 * (qy * qz - qw * qx)) * *vz;
  float tz =   (2 * (qx * qz - qw * qy)) * *vx +   (2 * (qy * qz + qw * qx)) * *vy + (1-2 * (qx * qx + qy * qy)) * *vz;
  *vx = tx;
  *vy = ty;
  *vz = tz;
}
But as I expected it was probably axis swapping. (not that the logic makes sense for me now ) The code I pasted in this reply looks a lot like the one implemented in most Madgwick AHRS Arduino libs, which does have a different axis alignment I believe.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”