Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

I2C ADDRESS COMPILATION
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

I2C ADDRESS COMPILATION

by Tongue_Tested_240V on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 pm

One of your recently featured new products was an I2C address mapping compilation.

I may have misunderstood the idea, but would it not be be better to have an EEPROM/RFID chip that
can be preprogrammed by the end-user designer to translate any address to any other address? That way you could have ten (or 2^10) of the same (single-address) items on your bus, simply by having the address lines be modified going into a device and coming back out.

It might be a way (he said, mystically) to handle the power distribution issues. (e,g, 18 I2C Servos on the same bus,,,)

I'm new to I2C, so it might well be what the article meant in the first place.

Thanks
Colin

Tongue_Tested_240V

Re: I2C ADDRESS COMPILATION

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am

There are no address lines in i2c. It is a serial bus and there is just one data line and one clock line. Both are bidirectional, multi-master lines, so there is no practical way to do address conversion on-the-fly.

To handle the problem of address conflicts, you can use an i2c multiplexer. This device allows you to select from 8 different i2c buses: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tca ... t/overview

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.